Sound card keeps re-booting PC

nooney 18:11 07 Sep 05

I need to fit a sound card to my PC running Windows XP Home with on board sound (on-board sound crackles!)and find that when I do the sound works fine but PC will not switch off and constantly re-boots.
I had this same problem when I fitted a firewire card and had to swop it for another make.
Is the problem with the mother board set-up or bios can I change my settings to allow the use of this sound card.
I do not know what make the card is as I was given it from another PC but it seems to work fine in my PC apart from the re-booting.

Chegs ® 18:26 07 Sep 05

I had a heap of trouble with a SoundBlaster Live card.The card was unusable with that mobo as it conflicted with the chipset on the board.I tried several "patches" that were supposed to cure this problem,none worked so I eventually bought a new motherboard.

Are you sure your disabling the onboard sound,does the card have a joystick port on it,this might be conflicting with the mobo's port.If you post details of any chip numbers or any numbers on the card,we might be able to help you identify the card fully.

BBez 21:13 07 Sep 05

you could also try inserting the card into a different PCI slot, this sometimes changes the IRQ which may resolve the conflict, you can check for conflicts in Device Manager...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…