Sound card installation puzzle ?

Probabilitydrive 20:29 13 Feb 07

I have an OEM sound card installed (CREATIVE Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Platinum)and found out that the installation CD is unusable (doesn't install the software...) I found this out when I tried to make a reformat + clean Win XP-pro install.

I have used Norton Ghost and all the CREATIVE folders are back in programme folders.

My question:
1) Can I copy/save the CREATIVE folder from the program files and just paste them back after a clean Windows install?

2) Does Window recognise driver and software?

3) Would that work with my ATI folder as well?

Any

Probabilitydrive 20:31 13 Feb 07

Any = Any advice appreciated

Totally-braindead 20:35 13 Feb 07

I would THINK that the answer would be no as when it installs it would make changes to the likes of the registry and the program files would not have this info it would be in the instalation program. You could try it and see what happens. Or let windows try to install its drivers.
I personally would go to soundblaster.com and download the latest driver.

ed-0 20:42 13 Feb 07

Just download the driver and save it. click here

Probabilitydrive 20:47 13 Feb 07

Ignoring the registry is definitely a flaw in my approach. However, I tried already the latest driver from the Creative download site, as well as roamed through various Forums there...(There is a serious issue of this card not being recognised by the installation CD...)

There is the talk of flashing the BIOS, changing registry entrances and more. This is-as yet-too much of a gamble for me.

Therefore I'm looking for an easy option.
Another thought:

1) Is there a way to turn the content of the CRATIVE folder in an executable CD (similar than the original installation CD)?

terryf 20:50 13 Feb 07

system restore and then un-install the card in Device Manager and install the new driver?

Probabilitydrive 21:01 13 Feb 07

terryf thanks, a system restore is not necessary, as-due to Norton Ghost- all sound-card functions are restored.

I attempted a reformat, reinstall of XP-pro and install of the CREATIVE installation CD. As yet I have NOT used the latest drivers (courtesy of ed-o).

Definitely one for another attempt.

Right now I'm still chasing advice of my posting of 20:47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…