Sound card installation advice for novice, please!

TimCDC 17:14 06 Dec 03

I'm about to install a Creative Soundblaster PCI soundcard, following really helpful advice I've had here before. Its all new to me, so I'm a bit cautious, and have a couple of questions...

I know I have to remove the metal bracket from the unused PCI slot. After removing the relevant screw, I've prodded and pulled a bit, but it doesn't seem to keen to move. Do I just need to push harder?!

On the card itself, there are 3 small "sockets" on the opposite side to the card to where it fits into the PCI slot. They are labeled TAD, CD and AUX; the instructions say to plug the analog cable from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive into the CD connector on the card. I think I've located the cable that is currently connected to the onboard soundcard, and my question is, do I simply transfer it (after disabling the onboard card). I'm a bit confused that there is only one such wire - it seems to go back to the DVD drive, and I'm wondering therefore how the sound will get out of my CD drive - or perhaps the CD drive connects to that cable somewhere behind the scenes taht I can't see?

Thanks in advance....I think I'm nearly there but just seeking that bit more reassurance!

woodchip 17:21 06 Dec 03

You can make a splitter get another cable and cut and solder them together colour to colour so you have two plugs one for CD and other for DVD. Make sure you insulate them from one another with tape. That's what I have done, Also take the plug out of the wall socket when doing any alterations

TimCDC 17:23 06 Dec 03

is that the wire isn't split at the moment, but both the DVD and the CD drive are working just fine - so I'm hoping if I simply install that single wire into the new sound card, they will both continue to work fine...?

leo49 17:26 06 Dec 03

In fact that audio cable is completely superfluous - the IDE ribbon will carry the optical drive output[which is what is happening at the moment for one of your optical drives].

TimCDC 17:31 06 Dec 03

thanks for that leo49 - I'll go ahead and switch it (for tidiness!) but its good to know that it should still work....

anyone give me advice about getting the PCI slot cover out? (apart from going down to the gym to build up my muscles!)

leo49 17:35 06 Dec 03

Can only suggest you perservere with the blanking plate - they can occasionally be "trapped" by an adjoining one slightly overlapping,or be a tight fit into it's bottom slot and need raising to free it.

woodchip 17:37 06 Dec 03

Just push it out they will come with some force

TimCDC 17:40 06 Dec 03

thanks woodchip and leo49. About to power down and muscle up.....

cycoze 17:50 06 Dec 03

You can have the analog cable running either between the cd-rom drive and the cd socket on your sound card OR from the dvd drive and cd socket on your sound card , if music cd`s were playing ok while it was hooked up to the onboard sound , then leave it attached to the dvd drive.

Regarding the ribbon cable`s i was told on these forums that this route was only viable via 80 wire ribbon and not 40 wire .

Take care while removing the blanking plate that you dont damage the motherboard , i find when some plates are spot welded a small flat screwdriver (non magnetic) can be used gently to prise the plate away from the case , working near where the retaining screw hole , if you choose to push from the outside , do it again near the screw retaining hole , make sure you support it on the inside of the case atthe same time.

cycoze 17:51 06 Dec 03

LOL well i got in just too late.

TimCDC 18:53 06 Dec 03

All working fine and dandy. First time I didn't push the sound card in hard enough into the PCI slot, so I had a bit of a panic when the find new hardware wizard didn't find anything - but a bit more force did the trick!

I am so grateful to everyone for the advice - first time I had taken the cover off the computer, but now I'm wondering what else to upgrade...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…