Sound Card to external Amplifier... digital out...

bigsteevio 13:30 01 Apr 09

A newbie to the forum, so hello!

My amplifier is fine for 5.1 surround with my PS3 as a source.

My query is regarding 2 channel music from my PC.

I have a Marantz SR4200 AV Amplifier which is connected to the PC Line out by a phono-minijack lead, via a 10m minijack extension.
I use iTunes to listen to all of my music.

I am just about to upgrade my speakers to the Wharfedale 9.1 and would like to know what steps I can take to improve the quality of the source before it reaches the amp then speakers...

My main concern is that my current setup will not do the new speakers justice, so I am looking at my options for upgrade.
I am only on a small budget.

I would like to know the details regarding a toslink connection to my Amp.
If I bought a new soundcard, even if it is not a great standard, will the optical cable carry all the digital information to my superior amp in order for the amp to do all the musical processing, thus making it a better signal?

Or will there be little or no improvement on my current setup?

The reason I ask is that I have been told digital signals are simple and therefore the cable only needs to carry a simple digital signal, as opposed to a analogue one which is open to all forms of signal depreciation.
Forgive me if this is actually a load of old nonsense!

So would all the good or bad quality of any soundcard be overlooked because the signal is carried digitally to the amplifier to do the work?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Steve

T I M B O 21:27 02 Jun 09

Im not a fan of itunes myself, but what bitrate does itunes format it to. If it's quality you are after then u need uncompressed sound and thats what itunes or mp3 does, does it not? So for uncompressed sound, try ripping a cd onto ur hard drive with wmp 10 but 1st check the settings. In wmp 10 click tools, click Rip Music tab, then down below you will see a slider bar, move that to the right then click apply, then rip away.

Best of luck !!

ambra4 13:13 03 Jun 09

For Digital Audio Connections, you can use either a coaxial or Toslink optical cable

but not both at the same time

Both connections support Dolby Digital 5.1, 7.1 Pulse Code Modulation (PCM), and Digital

Theatre Systems (DTS)

The coaxial cable plugs into the orange colour-coded RCA connection on your receiver and

the sound card

The Toslink optical cable plugs into the small black square connector on your receiver and

the sound card

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant