sound card, does price compromise quality?

ace121pk 23:30 17 Jul 04

i am currently considering buying a sound card, but i dont know what to get, i dont know what i should be looking for! i want to able to record music from alternative sources with out the lost of quality or any interference that i currently have with my onboard sound car.

any help would b appreciated

dfghjkl 14:00 18 Jul 04

i think "yes" is the answer to that,i am happy with my soundblaster live 5.1 for £25.but some would not settle for less than something 3 times the price.what is your budget?

Totally-braindead 14:16 18 Jul 04

I think it depends on how fussy you are, a friend of mine is a musician and is a very good guitar player he burned some disks of MP3 at 320bps and says the quality is noticably worse, personally I can't hear the difference. If you are really keen on your sounds then you can't go far wrong buying something like a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card click here but personally I think a cheaper card a 4.1 or 5.1 would do me you can get them for about the £25 mark as dfghjkl has said.

ace121pk 00:07 19 Jul 04

sorry for the late reply, i need a card with crisp clear sound quality with out the background interference, that i currently recieve

Being a student my budget is around £60.

byfordr 08:54 19 Jul 04

Got both...about £15 for Soundblaster (microdirect I think) also got the audigy 2. With the Audigy 2 there is a handy little function that allows you to record what you hear.

R

fourjays 10:26 19 Jul 04

Whatever you do, do not buy one of those really cheap cards for £10-£15, that look exactly the same as the Creative ones. The quality deteriates quickly, and the stereo eventually goes. I have had 2 Creative's and two cheap makes - The Creatives are the best in my opinion. I currently have their Soundblaster 5.1 Live, and I think it is excellent. Good Luck with the search.

Stuartli 11:31 19 Jul 04

I also have a Soundblaster 5.1 Live! and find the sound quality very respectable through my IBM 2.1 speaker system.

However, prior to that, I used the C-Media 8738 onboard sound chipset for four years and was always very impressed by the sound quality; yet PCI versions of this chipset (there's also a superior 9738 version) only cost from £4-£6 and feature surround sound, 3D sound and SPDIF facility.

I'm not suggesting that you buy one - the Soundblaster is a superior component - but it proves the old hi-fi maxim that the speakers are a critical part of the overall system.

Stuartli 11:33 19 Jul 04

..hear what you record perhaps?

byfordr 12:37 19 Jul 04

Basically you can record from any source ie from Internet, DVD, Cd etc and it will create a nice digital copy. Bypasses all forms of copy protection. I think its called "record what you hear"

R

Stuartli 15:26 19 Jul 04

Still a bit puzzling - how do you know what you are going to hear and be prepared to record it?

But I presume it's something on these lines that you mean:

click here

Some dual play/record compact audio tape recorders and quite a few amplifiers provide the "hear while you record" facility which can prove useful.

Peverelli 17:27 19 Jul 04

"Record what you hear" basically does what it says on the tin. If you have, say, a cassette recorder plugged in to your line in socket on your sound card - you can play the cassette and record the audio straight on to your HD. What comes out of the PC's speakers while doing this is what's being recorded. With the Audigy card you can then convert the wave file you've just recorded to an mp3 file, using Creative's WaveStudio - which is bundled with the card (not sure if that's the case with the OEM version).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…