sound card disable temporary

surfmonkey #:@}© 13:21 19 Jun 06

is it possible to disable my muse xl sound card uninstall drivers and go back to onboard sound as i want to see if my muse sound card is causing the problem on pc with out having to open up case and take the thing out .

recap 14:17 19 Jun 06

Disabling the card would be sufficient to do what you require, there should be no need to uninstall the drivers.

keef66 15:44 19 Jun 06

disable the card in device manager. You may have to go into bios to re-enable the onboard sound, or it may automatically restart when the sound card is disabled.

Don't forget to swap the speaker plugs etc to the onboard sockets if you're trying to diagnose a sound problem.

surfmonkey #:@}© 16:07 19 Jun 06

right done all of the above running on on board sound having some sound problems i think when running sertain games pc crashes tryed everthing else i.e memory changed graphics card and power suply sound card is my last option read somewhere that sound card problems on gaming can caause crashes.

keef66 09:07 20 Jun 06

Sound cards can indeed cause game crashes, but it sounds as if you've eliminated that.

From your description you haven't got much else to try apart from the cpu, which is usually dead or alive, or the mobo, which you can only really test by replacing it.

Have you tried reinstalling or updating the mobo chipset drivers??

Is it the game that crashes to the desktop, or the pc which blue screens or shuts down / restarts? The latter is usually heat or memory in my experience.

have you got any temp monitoring for cpu / gpu / system? If not, d/l Speedfan. Have you tested the memory? If not, d/l Memtest86.

Which games.

surfmonkey #:@}© 13:35 20 Jun 06

disabled sound card stopped getting reverb on game startup and no game crashes so far (touch wood)the support site for my sound card says there is no support for win xp sp2

keef66 14:19 20 Jun 06

you may well have hit the nail on the thumb. Is the onboard sound good enough for your needs? If not, then you can get a basic oem audigy for relatively little outlay. Alternatively a new mobo with decent onboard multi-channel sound.

surfmonkey #:@}© 14:35 20 Jun 06

i dont need anything fancey with the sound so on board sound would be ok i only installed the muse xl card as i had it lying around from other spare tower

surfmonkey #:@}© 20:22 25 Jun 06

disabled sound card i think it was the card no more errors yet games running too

keef66 10:25 26 Jun 06

thanks for letting us know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…