Sound card - device cannot start - Code 10

chisandsid 18:38 26 Mar 07

Hello all,

I have a most frustrating problem with my PC sound card for which I would be very grateful for help in resolving.

I have modest PC knowledge but will do my best to explain problem.

Dell 3100 PC under one year old. Six months ago ran my sound output through to external amplifier and speakers via a standard and appropriate ‘Nikkai’ connecting cable. All fine and able to enjoy music from the PC on quality speakers.

However a few weeks ago – I believe following a restart after I had received some Windows updates – no sound was available on the system. Using Windows Media Player and trying to play a CD track revealed a red icon and the error message that either I did not have a sound device or that it was already in use or not working properly. For a while just restarting the system cleared the problem and sound was restored.

However the numbers of restarts and/or turn off/turn on required to enable sound then increased to 4 to 5 times before sound was restored. Then – nothing! Going to Sounds and Audio Devices within Control Panel showed under Audio that there was no Audio device. When clicking on Hardware – the ‘Sigma Audio’ sound card was displayed with message ‘This device cannot start – Code 10.’

Trawled through Internet for information which revealed a mass of bewildering and varied comment. It would appear to be a ‘device conflict’ problem. Strange this because surely when powering up my PC from cold there is nothing using the sound card other than the ‘Windows’ system itself?

Anyway – as advised - tried searching for updated drivers for the sound card. None available and no sound still. However when, as advised, I uninstalled the sound card and reinstalled the device sound was resumed. Excellent! However if I then turned the PC off and then switched it on again a couple of hours later the sound was not available. So – uninstalled and reinstalled the sound card and as before sound was resumed. Some advice said to physically remove and then replace the sound card but I assume this should not be necessary because the system recognises the card fine when uninstalling and reinstalling.

Now I really don’t want to uninstall and reinstall the sound card every time I power on the PC. It really isn’t the answer. Could anyone please tell me – hopefully without it being too technical – what the problem is and how it can be resolved?

All help would be very gratefully accepted.

Pete

eedcam 18:47 26 Mar 07

Pet I had similar problem and messages after windows update founs apost on google which said untick auto updates and reboot and it worked .I now do my updates manually. I would try restore back to before theupdates then untick auto udates and reboot

€dstowe 18:49 26 Mar 07

If this is a separate sound card, PCI or similar, does your motherboard have on board sound provided on it? My thinking is that the on board sound may not be disabled properly to allow the separate sound to function reliably.

If there are two sound card sources, go into the BIOS and properly disable the on board system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced