Sound card

ara071286 11:40 03 Jul 04

When ever i use the cd-rom or another device i hear the cd-rom reading sounds through my speaker. How could i stop this. I was told to mute the line-in function and that worked.. however i have a tv card thus i need that line-in function to be avilable

GrahamP 14:19 03 Jul 04

Unusual. You could experiment with the Digital Audio setting on your CD drive. On XP double click the CD drive in Device Manager, select properties tab.

To get to Device Manager
Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager.

If Digital Audio is selected you should be able to do without the audio cable from your CD drive to your audio card.

What sound card is it?

ara071286 18:16 03 Jul 04

The sound card is the normal onboard ac97 chipset one. Under win98 i do not have these problems but in xp i do. I have got all the latest drivers. When i disable line-in the problem is solver how ever like i said i need it for the tv card

THE TERMINATOR 20:52 03 Jul 04

sorry if I sound a bit stupid, but what do you mean reading sounds through your speaker?

ara071286 21:49 03 Jul 04

Wat i mean is that u c the internal sounds the cd-rom makes whilst reading. Those sounds seem to interfere with my sound card thus coming throught me speakers in the form of a crackling effect sound

ara071286 21:49 03 Jul 04

Wat i mean is that u c the internal sounds the cd-rom makes whilst reading. Those sounds seem to interfere with my sound card thus coming throught me speakers in the form of a crackling effect sound

Stuartli 10:05 04 Jul 04

You have either got a sound card or onboard sound (i.e. a motherboard chipset such as the Creative 8738) or even both if you've upgraded.

Try disabling onboard sound in the Bios if you do actually have a sound card.

If you have onboard sound and sound card drivers and both are enabled, you will be able to hear sounds a fraction of a second apart because there will/probably be two audio utilities operating.

ara071286 12:20 04 Jul 04

I have only got an onbard ac97 via chipset soundcard only.

Stuartli 14:55 04 Jul 04

Onboard sound is normally a motherboard chipset - a sound card is a physically removable (normally) PCI type. It could even have the same chipset type; sound cards using the Creative 8738 chipset, for instance, can cost as little as £4 to £6.

Are the sound jackplug outlets housed on the motherboard and visible from the rear of your case? If so, it's onboard sound.

You can use the line-in socket for your TV card's ound output. Your CD-ROM's sound input is made by connecting its audio lead to the motherboard itself.

Your mobo manual will detail where the connection is available - you could have a choice of two or three possible connections to cater for different types of audio lead plugs.

THE TERMINATOR 15:15 04 Jul 04

Choose your AC97 Audio configuration from control panel, and click on the speaker configuration tab, is this set to 2 channel mode for stereo speaker output?...TT

Stuartli 15:26 04 Jul 04

Most Creative onboard soundchips cater for 3D and surround sound as well...:-)

ara071286 may have surround sound speakers but, of course, the correct configuration should be set as you suggest for Desktop or surround sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…