Sound Blaster problem

vinnielo 19:19 06 Jan 03
  vinnielo 19:19 06 Jan 03

Quite recently, I've discovered that my Creative SB128PCI Sound Card likes dying when it's not been active for a while.

The sound works fine during startup, but when left for a while (this length of time varies, and is possibly due to modem dialing up), any program that wants to generate a sound hangs.

A restart solves the problem. I've never had this kind of problem before and it is really winding me up whenever it happens.

I've also discovered that I can no longer change the settings for my sound card. Going into System Devices in Control Panel, I check the properties for my sound card. Clicking on the settings tab shows the message:

"You do not have sufficient security priveliges to change device properties. Please contact your site administrator, or logout and log in again as an administrator and try again."

I remember the settings tab was used for options such as adding additional MIDI WaveSets.

I've always logged in as my usual name and have not messed about with logon settings.

I've tried to reinstall my drivers, but that didn't work. What I did was to delete the old SB device from teh device list. I didn't restart as it told me to, as I didn't want it detecting my sound card and installing the older drivers as soon as Windows booted up. I ran the updated drivers and proceeded as usual.

That security message still pops up now, and I think that is a clue to the problem.

I'm using Windows ME.

crx16 19:59 06 Jan 03

from creative(removing drivers);

"Usually you will have to reboot for the changes to take effect. Please note however, that if the hardware is still in the system, Windows may prompt you on the next boot up to install drivers again."

after restart windows will ask you if you have driver on disc/file.?

vinnielo 20:06 06 Jan 03

Or more usually, Windows just installs the drivers without even asking you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…