SOS - Easy steps to CD-RW "burn"

Ankermi31 16:43 25 Oct 05

Windows XP. Roxio.

I am a real novice with these CD-RW and DVD things having always used floppies with no problems.

Do I need to format the CD before I even attempt to copy across?

Next when I have got things across and have tried to re-track to the hard drive I get told the cd is read only. Why?

OK guys nice and easy please.

Ankermi.

Diemmess 16:46 26 Oct 05

Roxio Help files and Wizard should explain how to record (including the various ways)

Only re-writable disks should be formated at all.

When you copy a file back to the HD the file and any changes can only be saved on the HD itself.

A work-around to put updated files on a CD is to use either a CDRW disk, or to keep piling the altered files as extra sessions on a "multisession" arrangement with an ordinary (write once) CD.

Unlike the CDRW disk you cannot erase old files on a normal blank, but they can be made to 'disappear' when their index is brought up to date in another session. Ultimately this type of CD becomes full.

A good quality blank CDR (in my opinion) beats the more expensive CDRW for longevity and reliability and are relatively very cheap.

Diemmess 16:57 26 Oct 05

DVD writable disks (again in my view0 are best kept for special purposes like large video, music and image files...... Their capacity is huge and they are on the verge of the limits of the medium so may not stand the sort of abuse often given to the longer established CDR.

Don't despise the humble Floppy, it is simply becoming inadequate for the lumps of data we seem to throw around these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…