Sorting Music Files in XP

Epirb406 19:42 07 Jun 05

Evening all,

I recently jumped omn this media thru PC bandwagon.

I ripped all my CDs to Hard Disk using Jet audio. I organised in folders, by artist and then track, so a typical file path would be: I\shared music\Joe Jackson\is she really going out with him.mp3

I am happy with everything except for the fact that windows is sorting all tracks by alpabetical order.

I therefore labouriously went through each folder and then selected view, arrange icons by track number. I had to do this for each album folder.

Afetr a few days (may have happened on the first reeboot) I noticed that all sorting had reverted to track name.

SO....How do I sort, get the changes to stick and not have to do it for every single folder?

Thanks, and sorry for being long winded, Epirb.

VoG II 19:49 07 Jun 05

In Windows Explorer, if you click on the Name column header it will sort them by name. To reverse the sort order click on Name again.

VoG II 19:50 07 Jun 05

Ignore that - must learn to read before posting.

VoG II 20:01 07 Jun 05

Click the Track Number column heading. If that is not visible, View/Choose Details and tick Track number.

VoG II 20:09 07 Jun 05

Remember folder views click here

Epirb406 20:12 07 Jun 05

I can sort them folder by folder but a) The sorting was lost after reboot b) I want to sort multiple folders and subfolders at the same time.

Thanks, Epirb.

Andybear 20:49 07 Jun 05

I had a similar problem and simply put the track number before the name in the file name,

eg - 01 Name\song.mp3
02 Name\song.mp3 etc

It'll take a while to do but it worked for me.

Epirb406 21:38 07 Jun 05

Cerainly would take a while to rename all the tracks on a hundred or so albums!

Epirb406 18:01 08 Jun 05

Cheers, Epirb.

ade.h 18:38 08 Jun 05

I have all my wma files and folders in details view as VoG describes (Hello, VoG!) and it stays perfectly well ordered with about 100 to 150 tracks per folder. Perhaps, if you have more tracks per folder, XP might struggle a little with displaying that much data. Try reducing the number of tracks per folder if this is the case, and/or reducing the number of columns via VoG's method. It's also worth noting that XP can sometimes go crazy with folder views and folder types for no apparent reason. Try browsing Kelly's Korner XP click here or a similar site.

ade.h 18:42 08 Jun 05

And don't forget; install and use Tweak UI if you have a lot of folders on you PC. It's set to remember only 400 views, which sounds a lot, but includes system folders and the like. When the folder cache is full it's supposed to discard the least viewed, but it's not necessarily going to happen that way! Tweak UI can increase the folder views figure without delving into the registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…