Sorry! Win 98 prob!!

Siddhartha 22:37 13 Dec 04

I have undertaken a clean re-install of Win 98SE for a friend. Everything went ok but when Windows starts the message 'PCI Multimedia audio device' has been found and Windows is looking for the driver to install. When I click cancel the message 'PCI communications Devices has been found' etc. I have used 'Add New Hardware' command to find the devices but no PlugNPlay devices or non PlugNPlay devices are found. The devices do not appear in Device Manager. I opened the case and there is only one PCI slot being used (modem). Any suggestons?

jimv7 23:03 13 Dec 04

Install the modem driver.

Totally-braindead 23:07 13 Dec 04

As Jimv7 has said install the modem driver, when it installs it'll come up with some gobbledy-gook about installing wave driver for sound or something like it and then the PCI multimedia device will also be done. The PCI multimedia device is part of the modem is what I'm trying to say.

THE TERMINATOR 23:08 13 Dec 04

The message you are getting, refers to your soundcard, it may be onboard and not in a slot. You need to have the drivers installed for your soundcard to work. Do not click cancel when windows is looking for the drivers, and let it run it's course....TT

THE TERMINATOR 23:11 13 Dec 04

First time I've heard of the MODEM being a multi-media device?????

Totally-braindead 23:20 13 Dec 04

THE TERMINATOR I've seen it several times when a modem driver isn't installed under Win98 theres 2 devices listed under device manager when theres only one device there, its the modem. When you install a modem it installs some driver for audio not sure what it is but if you watch the modem driver install you'll see it. Only under 98 though, can't remember if you see it under XP or if it just installs it all in one lump. Honest.

THE TERMINATOR 23:37 13 Dec 04

Sorry pal, hope I didn't upset you, just that I've never seen it myself....TT

Totally-braindead 23:41 13 Dec 04

No probs THE TERMINATOR its something to do with the connectors on the back of the modem, mine has 3 connectors for audio, never used them hence I don't know what they do.

niknax 23:48 13 Dec 04

why don't you try inserting win 98 disk when you right click install driver?

Siddhartha 20:56 14 Dec 04

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I offered to clean up a friends computer but she had lost all drivers,etc. Eventually I took out the modem to see if I could find the manufacturer - it was Ambient (I found out by typing the model number into Google). I got the driver from - that cured the PCI communication device problem. I then noticed that there was a Via chip on the motherboard and I did a search on - found a reference to the chip and downloaded the driver - that cured the PCI audio problem (it never occurred to me to look for on-board sound!)
Thanks again to all respondents.

BTW I really do recommend click here - an amzing resource.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…