sorry not pc but tv related

pookie 12:53 03 Apr 06

hi guys

sorry this is not pc related - hope not abuse of the forum.

i moved into a house about 2 years ago which has a sky dish outside and the cabling coming into the living room - no box. for info i can't get freeview in my area / or channel 5. I have never had sky. i don't fancy paying monthly for channels but have looked at freesat (via sky). however you get no reduction in the £150 one off cost even if you have your own dish. do you know what i could buy box wise to allow me to get channel 5 and freesat channels? do i need a card? or should i just pay £150 for freesat. as yet i don't know if the dish the house has actully works!! but it looks quite new.
i'm not after new films or premiership football - just some childrens some sport and sky new some films.

many thanks

P

ACOLYTE 13:15 03 Apr 06

I dont know if this is the kind of thing you wanted click here it;s just the box and card i dont know how much it cost to get the chanels but
the box is cheaper than £150 lol.

According to click here

you dont need a subscription.

ACOLYTE 13:20 03 Apr 06

This is interesting reading,i dont know if it would affect you but a good read click here

dms05 13:28 03 Apr 06

Almost any Free to Air Satellite Digital Receiver will deliver BBC+ITV and Others but not currently C4 and Five. The latter are still under contract with Sky and their programmes are encrypted - to receive C4 and Five from Satellite you have to take out a Sky subscription.

If you never want any Pay channels then buy a FTA receiver. Not expensive click here and if your dish and it's LNB (the bit with the cable attached) are OK you can just plug in.

You could also look out for a 2nd hand Sky Digibox. On ebay they sell for under £20. You don't need a card to use them for BBC/ITV and the other FTA TV and Radio.

Can you borrow a Sky box to try on your dish?

pj123 16:59 03 Apr 06

Well the links given by ACOLYTE completely crashed my computer, losing my response to this thread.

Will try again.

It depends on where this dish is pointing. If it is set on Astra 1 (19.2 degrees east) it needs to be realigned to Astra 2 (29.2 degrees east). I bought a Free to Air digibox from Lidl some time ago (Comag SL55, cost £49) and just disconnected my old Analogue box and connected the Digibox. I have a motorised system so I got a local Satellite engineer to come and realign the dish for me (cost £40). I can now receive all the free programs from BBC/ITV (including Channel 4 and More4) etc. with no problem, plus, of course, all the other free programs that I had before.

ACOLYTE 17:02 03 Apr 06

Im sorry the links crashed your pc,they work fine on mine.

pj123 17:42 03 Apr 06

ACOLYTE, I'm sure it's not your fault but I just tried them again and (guess what) it crashed again.

ed-0 18:11 03 Apr 06

Links work fine here.

skidzy 18:24 03 Apr 06

Links work fine for me.

BRYNIT 19:30 03 Apr 06

The cheapest way would be to sign up for the basic package click here.

It will cost you £7.00 for the first 3 months then 15.00 per month. Dish, box and card supplied with 12 month warrentee. After a quick calculation this will cost you £156 for the year but you must remember to cancell towords the end of the 12 months giving a months notice. After cancelation you can use the box for free view channels.

Remember to read the T&C before ordering click here

Fingees 19:38 03 Apr 06

If you just want free to air, you can use any Sky satellitte receiver, and pay a one off £20 fee for a card which gets all free to air channels including 4 & 5.

Just phone sky and they send you a card.

I've been using one for the last year, and they guarantee your card for 3 years anyway, so if they issue a new one for security etc, they provide it free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…