Sony VAIO Recovery

tazzo85 13:50 05 Oct 05

Just now i tried to recover my hard drive using the Sony VAIO Recovery disc but it wont run. I inserted the disc in the computer then it asks to restart. It then asks to press any key to boot which i did and it does it system check, after all that i get the normal blue screen where you get the options of what you need to recover but these options wont appear, it is just a blank blue screen, and if i wait too long the computer restarts itself. I desperately need to boot my hard drive as im having allsorts of problems and just need a clean out. Anyone have any suggestions? The boot worked fine few months ago but i cant access system restore point as far back as when everything was fine.

Lozzy 15:34 05 Oct 05

Sounds like your Recovery disks may be corrupt. Are they scratched?? Do you have a Win XP CD? if yes use that to recover the system but be careful you don't re format use the repair function on the fourth screen not the first screen. That worked for me on my viao. If in doubt call the tech help desk. click here to get halp re Viao system restore

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:38 05 Oct 05

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

tazzo85 18:09 05 Oct 05

umm... i made a mistake... i formatted the hard drive!! uh oh... well the computer seems to run better now, but i have several things on device manager that have question marks. I have managed to get driver for the NVIDIA GeForce 5600 and for the SoundMAX Audio but thats it. Hmm.. have i totally messed up my VAIO now? Any way going back? I tried the VAIO recovery disc to recover the system but same thing as before happened again, got stuck on the blue screen. I then just tried installing the programs individual and i got |Runtime Error '53'" come up. Im so dull...

tazzo85 19:39 05 Oct 05

The problem i am also having at the minute is about the USB 2.0... when i plug my external hard drive in USB it says something about a high speed being plugged to a low speed USB.... any solutions?? Thanks all

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 05 Oct 05

Desktop or laptop?

Model No. ?

Operatimg system?

Skills 19:46 05 Oct 05

Looks like you need to get the drivers for your laptop have a look on sonys site here the link for the drivers page click here

You might want to give them a ring or email them and see if they can issue you with replacement recovery disks.

tazzo85 19:46 05 Oct 05

sorry, it is a -

PCV-RZ324 Desktop
Windows XP Home Edition - Just installing SP2 now

honeyg 19:48 05 Oct 05

I have just re-installed my Vaio, what model do you have?
I had difficulty getting the Vaio to install from the cd on restart.
I had to change the bios to boot from the cd rom then it worked ok.
Try that

tazzo85 20:28 05 Oct 05

wow.. just rebooted after installing SP2 and it automatically fixed the USB 2.0 problem and it found the TV card, but says i might have to stop using another program on the system to use it. Im generally happy now as there is only 2 more things that have the question mark, which is the "ethernet controller" and a device known as "unknown". All i did was update driver and let it search the net. Thanks everyone for all your help, i hope what i just did might help other people somehow.. anyone got any ideas on the other 2 i need then please let me know. Thanks again.. much appreciated!

Skills 20:34 05 Oct 05

As I said goto the sony support site above enter your serial no and it will take you to the correct page for the drivers for your system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…