Sony Vaio PCV-RX302 Upgrade

Orbs 17:40 25 Feb 04

I am desperate to find out how to upgrade my Sony Vaio Computer system as I will need to upgrade ready for the Windows Longhorn operating system next year. My computer is a P4 1.08Ghz with 256Mb DDR SDRAM but I do not know what motherboard is integrated into my system, I only know that it is the SiS650 chipset. I have contacted Sony but they say that they will only upgrade the memory and have refused to give me any information concerning the motherboard type/make etc. I cannot upgrade safely until I know how to proceed. I have looked inside the machine but cannot tell what motherboard is in there and what the maximum processing speed and bus speed it actually supports. I would like to upgrade it to at least an Intel 2.8Ghz processor as Longhorn will need at least a 2.0Ghz processor anyway. There also seems to be different types of Intel Processors, so which do I choose? It is a great shame that Sony are so cagey about the motherboards in their systems and do not offer any help and advice on this matter. It could be rather dangerous for anyone trying to make an upgrade in ignorance and Sony should think about the possible dangers to their customers too. Could anyone please help identify the motherboard in my system and give advice on how to proceed to upgrade???

Diodorus Siculus 20:52 25 Feb 04

Get Aida32 from aida32.hu and it will ID the mobo for you.

But given its age, you will more than likely have to get a new mobo before you can put in such a fast processor.

Anyway, longhorn is probaby 2 years away and by then you probably will be able to buy a 3ghz processor / mobo bundle for less than £100.

That's my reading of the situation - don't try today to prepare for longhorn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…