Sony Vaio PCG-FX701 drivers

Can anyone help.

I am trying to help out a friend who had purchased a second had laptop. PCG-FX701.

He is retired and knows little about PCs. The laptop was supplied without any disks at all, and he is having problems.

The recovery CD is not supplied, this however is not a problem as he has a valid XP Home serial number, and I have a disk he can use for rinstall purposes using his key.

The problem I face is the drivers. I have been to the Sony site, and have downloaded the drivers for his graphics card, and touchpad. But no modem drivers, no VIA drivers for chipset and no AC97 drivers.

I know where to get the standard VIA drivers from, but will they work with a Sony, and where to get the AC97 (probable VIA), and modem drivers.

Perhaps XP will load them all, but my experience says the proper drivers are better (most of the time).

Can anyone help in pinpointing a possible source for the required files for downloading (perhaps from a previous excercise) or might be able to provide a copy from an identical companion CD.

To be clear on this, none of the Sony programs are required, just drivers. DV Gate etc etc are not required.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

GRFT 07:00 11 Oct 05

Taff36 07:49 11 Oct 05

I have a PCG-FX101 but like you, no set up disks. Try this. click here and download Everest Home Edition to the Sony Vaio. Run it and in the first Summary section explore the components and you will find direct links to the manufacturers driver downloads.

Taff36 07:52 11 Oct 05

You should also download and run Belarc Advisor click here which will give you a printable report with similar information and includes all the current software with all the necessary CD Keys for reinstalling the software. (Office, OS etc)

Thankyou for your input. I had installed Belarc Advisor on the laptop.

I will take another look at the links the mext time I meet my friend.

i will leave the topic open for a little longer.

Taff36 23:31 11 Oct 05

It`s Everest that will give you the best links. Try it on your own computer and you`ll see what I mean. Click on some of the summary links and you actually get an option to download the driver for that component. Good Luck.

Thanks, I have used Everest before but never noticed how good that facility is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…