Sony Vaio Laptop won't switch on with the battery?

Damo1977 10:53 19 Dec 07

Hi guys,

I'm really hoping for some advise here and hope that someone with past experience or expertise can point me in the right direction.

I have a Sony Vaio FS115B Laptop which is just over 2 years old. I got in from work on Monday only to be told by my girlfriend that my laptop isnt working and won't switch on!
Now this next piece of information is what my girlfriend told me so may not be entirely accurate, but she said the laptop through up a message saying something like "Battery not compatible with PC" and would not start up properley.
Then she turned it off and removed the battery and put it back in again. When she attempted to switch it back on again.....nothing! It was like it was completely dead.
Just to give bit more info, when you try switch it on without power cable you get nothing at all but when you attempt to turn on with power cable in you get a brief flash of the standby light and battery light together and the moment you release the power button nothing.
Now when I remove the battery and plug the power cable in I am able to switch on and use so my judgment points to a problem with the battery.

As I am no expert I didnt want to just presume the battery is dead and go spend a fortune on a new one.

So any advise from people that know for sure would be greatly appreciated and if it is a new battery I need, if anyone has any advise of a good retailer that will sell at a good price I'd be much appreciated.

Thanks for you help.

Damo

Gongoozler 11:43 19 Dec 07

I have no experience of the Sony Vaio, and have never come across this behaviour in a laptop, but it sounds to me like the battery has a shorted cell. This would prevent the battery getting to full voltage even when under charge and so could prevent the laptop switching on.

anchor 12:31 19 Dec 07

It most certainly sounds that the battery has failed.

Have a look here at 3 sites selling suitable replacements at various prices:

click here

click here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:32 19 Dec 07

Laptop Battery not showing Charging
1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds. I
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Then the battery.
Should now show 100% charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was beacuse it was fully charged.

anchor 15:05 19 Dec 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\

It seems that the matter of charging is not the problem here. The message "Battery not compatible with PC" would appear to eliminate that possibility.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 19 Dec 07

Yes its probably a duff battery but doesn't hurt to get rid os the static so the motherboard reads the battery OK.

Damo1977 10:24 20 Dec 07

Thanks for advice guys, I tried what Fruit Bat suggested but still nothing.
Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a new battery.

I must admit I'm a little surprised that the battery has lasted little over 2 years! Is this an average life span for a laptop battery? Or have I just managed to get a dud!!

Cheers.

Damian

I am Spartacus 11:08 20 Dec 07

Might be worth checking with Sony to find out whether that model was subject to a recall. They did have a few million problems with some batteries.

anchor 08:57 21 Dec 07

Sony Battery recall

click here

check yours here

click here

interzone55 09:32 21 Dec 07

Quite a few manufacturers have reported problems with Li-Ion batteries.

Sony, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba and others have all had battery recalls over the last couple of years. Recently Nokia announced a recall of batteries for several phones.

The battery in my old IBM Think Pad died a few years ago, the laptop would still boot with the battery in place, but there was a constant whistle, so I disposed of the battery and just ran the laptop by the mains, as I always used it at my desk anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…