Sony VAIO Laptop screen dims

16432606 13:45 08 Jan 06

Hi,

I've got a Sony VAIO PCG-K315M laptop. The screen looks ok and normal at the VAIO splash screen and BIOS menu, but goes dim when windows XP loads. Ok with external monitor.

Unfortunately, it's now 2 months out of warrenty!

I was suspecting the backlight or the Inverter or even a loose cable connection, but can it be any of these if the screen looks ok before WinXP loads? Could it be a 'loading' effect on the backlight or Inverter when WinXP starts to load?

Thanks for any help.

jack 13:52 08 Jan 06

Well you anticipate the obvious.
So it seems software - a driver or display setting malfunction perhaps.
When the machine boots and is in POST it is running on default setting until Windoze kicks in and takes over.

So try running in safe mode- How does that look- No drivers are running ?
Now Reboot- what now?
Check the display driver
Look up Sony for a later version

Edward_Winsall 13:54 08 Jan 06

I have a Sony Vaio, know what you are talking about and this is not a problem. The power settings are telling the machine to do this because of its situation. You either can change this on the keyboard, or go into, properties, screen saver and click power options at the bottom. This is normal and there is nothing to worry about

16432606 14:00 08 Jan 06

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have tried Safe Mode...no difference.

I've looked at settings, including settings for running on the battery and AC, but I will double check the power options again.

I also did a complete system restore and the problem still exists.

If the power options are correct, I'm not sure what else to try yet.

16432606 14:29 08 Jan 06

Hi,

Checked with Sony for latest drivers and I have them already installed.

Checked the power option settings and even tried it with 'power management off'! No luck.

It still appears that WinXP it switching off the backlight, as Jack mentioned, but I can't think of any other settings to change. Also confused why system restore didn't fix the problem! I keep thinking it may be an Inverter 'loading' effect?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…