sony vaio laptop - dead, deceased, no more

Babou 21:11 29 Jan 07

The help I'm looking for here is more what sort of charges are current for data retrieval - my laptop is THAT dead.

It's out of warranty (though not by much) so Sony will fix it - for £560 inc VAT. (The 35p-a-minute cubicle boy diagnosed a board fault, after going through all the tests they'd already done at the Sony Centre and I'd already done first thing this morning. The steam coming out my ears is fogging my glasses.)

I'd bite the bullet and send it in but for a couple of things: first, they might have to wipe the drive, and they won't retrieve the data. Also, for £560 I could get a new laptop - albeit not as lovely as my Vaio.

So I'm looking at local firms (I'm in Edinburgh) to at least retrieve the data, and maybe repair the machine more cheaply. I've been quoted £70 an hour plus VAT for retrieval, which seems steep.

I've backed up most of the data but there are some recent items I'd like back.

Any suggestions on how much I should be paying most welcome.

Terry Brown 21:17 29 Jan 07

If it's a board fault, the drive might be OK, have you a friend with a laptop where you could plug in your hard drive,save all you data to CD /DVD or you could get an adapter click here from these people and try it in a desktop computer.
Terry

wjrt 21:30 29 Jan 07
  Babou 21:34 29 Jan 07

I know my way round a desktop's innards, but have never opened up a laptop. However ... I have an old desktop so I could try this myself. (Or sweet talk the tech support staff at work, heh heh).

I've also got a portable hard drive that would easily fit all the data. It's worth trying, I guess. And I could pay myself £70 an hour!

Couple of questions: Is this a board that fits inside the PC? It's hard to tell from the description. And is 2.5" drive a laptop standard?

Thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 29 Jan 07

HDD fits in a caddy in the laptop (couple of screws to remove or may even be locate with a catch depending on model.

with caddy out of laptop remove HDD from caddy again probably 4 screws.

Connect HDD to desk top via either USB connector click here

or IDE connector cable click here

woodchip 21:58 29 Jan 07

As Fruit Bat /\0/\

Babou 22:07 29 Jan 07

I'll visit Maplins, see what they have. I will be so chuffed with myself if I get this done! Thanks very much for your help, Terry and Fruit Bat.

woodchip 22:09 29 Jan 07

2.5ins Caddy from a Computer Fair about £5

woodchip 22:10 29 Jan 07

I know as a Bought one

Babou 22:42 29 Jan 07

There don't seem to be any computer fairs up my way, so I might end up having to pay more than £5. Still a lot less than getting a professional to do it though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…