Sony Vaio FS laptop missing start up files

4chihuahuas 20:41 12 Aug 08

Hi i still have my Sony Vaio FS215S laptop with no working internal cd/dvd drive.
I have somehow managed to wipe some of the start up files and now need to recover the laptop with the recovery disc.
How do i know which CD Drive will work with my laptop? - in the past borrowed a Sony DRX 700UL from a friend to burn discs but have never bought one - does anyone know if the Sony DRX drives are all compatible with FS laptops as there seems to be a few in the range and also if they will perform a recovery? or do i need a diff drive altogether? - have seen some sony ones with a PCMIA card that describe recovery capability but unsure if it will work with my laptop.
hope someone can help
Thanks CHI

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 12 Aug 08

boot from a pen drive with liux on it and then you can replace the missing files.

click here

4chihuahuas 22:12 12 Aug 08

Hi FruitBat thanks for your help
do i need to load recovery disc onto pen drive? can do via another laptop
do you mean Linux? - if so which bit of software as there seems to be several available??
when i switch laptop on i get a message saying NTLDR is missing and i can't get any further
thanks again CHI

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:24 12 Aug 08

NTLDR Missing click here

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:27 12 Aug 08

Yes I meant Linux, personally I find SLAX easy to use, it has an explorer type interface wich you could use to copy the missing file from the i386 folder on your hard drive.

4chihuahuas 22:57 12 Aug 08

Hi agin and thanks very much for your replies and useful link
Sadly i do not have the XP cd only a system recovery disc and system recovery disc. - These were created from the laptop by a friend who set it up for me after i inherited it a few years ago.
The cd drive doesn't work and i've attempted to replace it several times but each time the new drive conflicts with the laptop and shuts it down so i havn't bothered and occaisionally borrowed an external disc drive when i've needed to burn discs.
The files are missing by mistake as i wiped them!
so i'm left with a laptop that won't start up without a disc drive...............
so which would be the best external device to recover it and should i use system recovery or application recovery discs? - or neither??
Am a bit of an amateur i'm afraid - thanks for your help
CHI

MCE2K5 23:27 12 Aug 08

Read these,

1. click here

2. click here

4chihuahuas 00:17 13 Aug 08

thanks for your post and links
F10 seems to be doing the trick and the system appears to be in recovery.
Thanks to both Fruit Bat and MCE2K5 for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…