Sony Vaio Cooling fan always on?

livewire 20:33 31 Aug 05

Hi,

My friend has a 1- year old Sony Vaio laptop (1.7ghz, Centrino). After 5 minutes of use on AC or battery power the cooling fan remains active for the entire time the laptop is on. My friend reports this has only recently started to occur. I suggested that the fan grill may be dusty- but it doesn't seem to be dusty at all and the fan seems to be in a position to have good air flow. Task Manager reports that CPU usage is 0-2% when idle and spy ware checks show no issues. In fact the machine isn't even connected to the internet.

Quite a strange problem, I don't know what to recommend to my friend, so I thought I would come here! hehe.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

wee eddie 07:20 01 Sep 05

In both directions with the most powerful air blast you can muster from the domestic environment.

PC Bilbo 09:04 01 Sep 05

When you say " this has only recently started to occur", I wonder if this if this is because of exceptionally hot spell

PC Bilbo 09:08 01 Sep 05

When you say " this has only recently started to occur", I wonder if this if this is because of exceptionally hot spell of weather.

My own PC with 6 Cooling fans normally runs Mobo 24Deg C and CPU 34 Deg C. Recently if left on all the time I'm seeing 35 and 43 respectively.

Laptops do run quite warm and if it's used a lot in hot weather a fan cooled "Cooling Mat " can help(around £15-£20)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…