Sony Vaio Clicks then freezes

wrg 19:38 17 Dec 10

Evening all,

I have a Sony Vaio. Purchased about 3 months ago. About 6 weeks ago one evening it started to click and then froze. It did it a couple of times. ON a reboot I pressed the assit button and run full diagnosics check and all passed. It started again last night and now tonight. I have to reboot by using the power button. When it reboots it says operating system cannot be found. I do alt ctl delete and it boots in fine. When it clicks about 10 seconds later it stops. The clicking comes from the right hand side of the laptop. Any advice?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 17 Dec 10

"Purchased about 3 months ago"

take it back

northumbria61 20:39 17 Dec 10

Sounds like a faulty hard drive - it is still under warranty - as per Fruit Bat/\0/\ Take it Back.

wrg 20:59 17 Dec 10

I thought faulty disk might be the problem and did google. Cannot understand why the disk test in VAIO diagnostic test returns no problems. Linear/Random/Funnel seek tests ok and so is surface scan. Not sure if any software conflicts may be causing it. The only thing I have downloaded since it seems to be happening is Itunes.

woodchip 22:14 17 Dec 10

AS above do Disc Check by Right Click on C:\Properties\Tools\Disc Check do a full scan

wrg 10:51 18 Dec 10

Hi

Did a full scan with no problems detected, also did memory test and no problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:56 18 Dec 10

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off (not applicable to laptop running from battery)

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

woodchip 14:30 18 Dec 10

As above the PSU may be on the way out, even could be faulty graphics card if the picture is still on the PC, but cannot move aqnything

wrg 16:16 18 Dec 10

Hi

Many thanks for your input. Have been working on it today. Did a virus check, the only thing that came up was a warning C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\system\local\temp. It described it as a corrupted executble file. Probably clutching at straws but one thing I noticed that the power supply button is always alight, even when I have turned the laptop off. The power plan I have it to turn the laptop off and put in hibernation.

woodchip 16:20 18 Dec 10

Did not know it was a Laptop. So it could be Overheating, Heat Exchanger blocked with Fluff. Can only be cleared by taking the Laptop in bits. Will be more noticeable When The Laptop is working hard doing intensive things

wrg 16:24 18 Dec 10

It does not seem be or feel as if it is overheating. Do not hear the fan kicking in. The only times it has done it is when playing FM2011 with low spec setting, last night when I went on the internet to google the problem and once when in Itunes. The laptop is runing Win7 64bit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac