Sony laptop BIOS problem

OlduserII 12:47 01 May 04

I have an ancient Sony laptop (PCG745) which has lost its BIOS settings - it was bought second hand from a friend so has no documentation. When started up a message is displayed "Missing operating system". I have a few so called recovery discs accumulated over the years but they all assume the C disc and Windows are accessible. At present the A disc is the only thing working but I have been assured the hard disc has not crashed.
Can anyone help please telling me how to restore BIOS to it correct settings
Many thanks in advance for any help

bremner 13:05 01 May 04

Have you tried booting it from a floppy disk to a DOS prompt and looking at the C drive.

It may be that the drive has been reformatted and there is just no operating system present.

OlduserII 13:20 01 May 04

Hi Bremmer
Well, I hope it hasnt got re-formatted - from DOS I cant get at the C disc - just nothing happens. If I try to change to that disc it just returns with the A prompt.
Thanks

Big Elf 13:45 01 May 04

On my Sony pressing 'Esc' after switching on gets into the BIOS. I can't remember though if there's an option to load default settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…