Sony DW-U10A firmware update - How?

Nickelback1 10:37 15 Oct 06

My DVD/CD tries to play discs but cant, so I thought i'd update the firmware / drivers.
I have downloaded the new firmware (1.1e) tried to run it & it cant find the drive ?
How do I solve this problem ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:02 15 Oct 06

My DVD/CD tries to play discs but cant
if this is both CD and DVDs then Check:

1 the drive is seen by the BIOS (firsst screen as you boot the CD)

2. If not seen above then check IDE ribbon cable is fully inserted at drive and at motherboard.

3. In device manager check if drive has any exclamation marks against it.

4. uninstall and reinstall the drive.

Nickelback1 11:12 15 Oct 06

Thx FruitBat/\0/Yes, it tries to play, so the bios sees it, device manager has no exclamation marks against it & I have De/Re'd twice & still have the problem?
The current driver is Microsoft 1/7/01 v 5.1.2535.0 which seems old, but there does'nt appear to be any later updates?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 15 Oct 06

Uninstall and reinstall the IDE channel the drive is on (probably secondary channel).

Nickelback1 11:42 15 Oct 06

What's the best way to find that out and de/re it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:46 15 Oct 06

As you boot the machine the first screen shows drives etc. primary master, primary slave, secondary master, seconadary slave.
You should see you drive on one of these, pause button will halt boot if the screen goes too fast.

Nickelback1 12:24 15 Oct 06

Ok, done that - it's the secondary master & the firmware is on older version !
How do I update the firmware - from within windows XP or from within the bios ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:27 15 Oct 06

Will it play a disk now?

Updating firmware is always a last resort if it goes wrong the drive is scrap.

Nickelback1 12:35 15 Oct 06

I hav'nt done anything to it yet tho, just paused it @ boot up & noted the details ?
What else should I do

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 15 Oct 06

Go into device manager and click on IDE channels and uninstall the secondary channel.

reboot the PC and let XP find and reinstall the channel. check the drive see if it will poay a CD and a DVD.

Nickelback1 13:45 15 Oct 06

I device manager I only have one ATA controller which controls all primary & secondary channels from Nvidia.
I cannot delete just secondary as it is greyed out ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…