Sony DRU500AX and Buffer Underruns

shaduf 19:58 02 Apr 03

I have just bought a Sony DRU500AX Dual DVD drive and I am a bit confused as to Buffer Underrun and what it means exactly.
After making coasters out of five CD-R’s I realised the B/U protection couldn’t be working.
I am not sure whether the protection the drive has is in the hardware or the software.
All I can find within the software supplied (Record Now) is “Powerburn: Disable, Enable or Enable only for Single Disc Jobs” The latter option was enabled as standard. After I changed the setting to Powerburn Enable I was able to make a satisfactory working CD-R. I had also lowered the speed to 2x although I was using a TDK 16x CD-R.

The drive is driverless and there are no settings externally for it so I assume B/U protection has to be software based. Can anyone confirm this? The very minimal User Guide, under the heading Buffer Underrun Error Protection says, “Powerburn for CD-R technology, Lossless Linking for DVD.” Does all burning software support Powerburn? I can’t ever remember seeing it in Easy CD Creator.

It must all be very obvious but the penny hasn’t dropped yet !

Thanks for your anticipated help.

Shaduf

crx16 20:49 02 Apr 03

i have the same drive and can confirm i didnt have to install any drivers.But the drives do have a 'firmware' that can be upgraded,

is this replacing an old drive,and ifso did you remove the driver for that first.

have a look in device manager to see if there are any problems.control panel\system\device manager\CD-ROM,and maybe see what firmware you have eg, 1.1a.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…