Sony DRU500A

oswald 13:29 21 Apr 03

I have ordered the Sony DRU500A DVD+/-R/RW. When this arrives can I dispose of my existing DVD-ROM Drive and the CD/RW Drive? Or would it be wise to place the Sony as my third drive? Comments Please.

-pops- 13:35 21 Apr 03

I would keep them all and use each one for its specific purpose. What I mean is, although the Sony will write CDs, it seems a bit of a waste of its capabilities and it will wear more if you use it for that. Likewise with DVD playback.

I don't have a DVD writer in my current machine but I do have a CDRW, a CD ROM and a DVD ROM and each gets used for its prime purpose and nothing else. When I do get a Sony DRU, it will be an addition to, not a replacement for, the others.

Brian

SEASHANTY 14:35 21 Apr 03

The Sony DRU-500A has been superceded by new model
DW-U10A which has an upgraded writing speed. Cost is £250 inc. VAT. Check it out on the website of CD-RMEDIA at <click here>

crx16 15:42 21 Apr 03

The Sony DRU-500A has been superceded by the new Sony DRU-500AX,of which the DW-U10A is the OEM version.

i bought the OEM version back in febuaury,it ships without cables,screws,manuals,software or support from Sony.(only £204 inc. at MESH)

oswald,hopefully you can just add the new drive to your available spare connection.there are some issue's with having recorders set as master/slave and being on the same/seperate IDE cable,but there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules,more trial and error.

slaveofconvention 16:53 21 Apr 03

Do you really want to wear out a £200+ drive when you can wear out a £20 one instead? I also run 3 optical drives, CD, DVD and CDRW, and as long as you have the space, I'd recommend it - as for the same IDE cable problem, well that just about on the fly copying - if you're going via the hard disk (usually a better idea anyway IMHO) it shouldnt make a difference.... However, I would probably recommend a setup something like....
HD and DVD on one cable -- CDRW and DVDRW on the other - you arent likely to use the two writers at the same time, and the DVD can act as a source for CD or DVD - alternatively (and my system choice) is extra IDE channels, via onboard or PCI based RAID - i currently have 60 HD's on my primary and secondary masters, CD and DVD on one RAID channel and the CDRW and ZIP on the other. If and when i go with the DVD Writer, i expect it'll take the place of the ZIP on the second RAID channel, and the ZIP (so rarely used i forget its there) will either end up attached to the second hard disk, or the bottom of the wastebin

Paperback Writer 17:38 21 Apr 03

Having three drives seems a bit of overkill. I've never had an optical drive wear out on me.

-pops- 18:26 21 Apr 03

OK, perhaps not wearing out but these things are notorious for going wrong. I've have a number of optical drives commit suicide on me.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…