Sony Camera

dogbreath1 11:01 08 Sep 06

I connected a Sony DSC-P10 camera to my PC. It was 'seen' and installed in the usual P+P fashion. It is visible in Device Manager but not in Explorer. Any ideas please?

Gongoozler 11:09 08 Sep 06

I'm not sure, but I think you have to use the Sony software to download the pictures from the camera. I have an old DSC-P70 and never download directly from the camera. I find a card reader much more convenient.

dogbreath1 10:23 09 Sep 06

Thanks for that, but I don't recall installing a driver and my daughter can copy/move images from the camera on her XP machine (without drivers). I'm sure that it should respond in the same way as any other drive or mass storage device.

Any more ideas please?

terryf 10:27 09 Sep 06

When you see it in device manager, are there any warnings? In Explorer try going to Tools>Folder options>view and show hidden files as an experiment

Gongoozler 10:31 09 Sep 06

Hi dogbreath1. My Sony is out on loan at the moment so I can't check to see how it behaves, but I expect to get it back Monday and I'll check it then. I do know, however, that some cameras respond as mass storage devices and some only interface with their own software.

Gongoozler 10:47 09 Sep 06

I've just found and downloaded the manual for your DSC-P10. It says that your camera should appear as a Removable Disk unless the camera USB mode is set to PTP mode (Picture Transfer Protocol).

dogbreath1 11:30 09 Sep 06

No warnings in device manager.

Hidden files are already shown.

Thanks, db.

dogbreath1 11:35 09 Sep 06

The camera USB mode is set to 'NORMAL' (I'm not shouting, LOL, it's just that's how it appears on the camera back screen!)

Works great on my daughters PC, but not on mine.

Is there a limit to the number of drives you have displayed in Explorer? I've got a whole bunch of 'em!

wossie 12:07 09 Sep 06

You don't say what operating system you are using. Is it Win98/ME you might have to install a driver to get it recognised. I have had problems connecting USB 2 device in the past because the port is not giving enough power as with an external hard disk it is recognised but won't work until you connect a second USB cable (does not apply to your camera) Download the latest driver and try a different port.

woodchip 12:16 09 Sep 06

If you have a Card Reader built in to comp these show as Removable drives also the camera will be in among that lot. Click on each to see

dogbreath1 13:09 09 Sep 06

XP SP2.

It's connected to a powered hub (currently, the camera is also on charge and connected by USB, this not working either).

Doesn't need a driver (per Gongoozler and the fact that it can be seen by my daughters XP PC)

Cheers, db.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…