Something wrong with Sonic MyDVD

pj123 14:13 24 Jul 04

I am using MyDVD to transfer my Beta tapes to DVD.

When capturing the info I get is:

Record time available 3hrs 20mins 20secs.

Drive space available 90gb.

I assume I should be able to get 1 three hour tape on to one 4.7gb DVD disk.

Once burnt and played back the last 20-30 minutes is not on the DVD disk, which means I am only getting somewhere around 2hours 50minutes on the disk.

I am told that if I buy a standalone DVD recorder I can get up to 8 hours on one 4.7gb DVD disk?

How come there is this sort of difference between a standalone recorder and a PC based recorder?

jonnytub 14:17 24 Jul 04

there isn't really, i have a liteon stanalone recorder and i also use mysonic dvd software, the standalone recorder will tape up to 6 hrs on low quality but only 1 hr on best, i usually stick to very good quality at 2 hrs, the difference isn't noticeable. It all comes down to the quality you want to record at in relation to how much footage you would like to put on disk.

stalion 14:28 24 Jul 04

I also use sonic mydvd and can get about 2 hours 50 mins on a 4.7gb dvd useing windows media format.The format you use and the quality you want determins the amount you can get on a disc as stated above by jonnytub.

pj123 14:40 24 Jul 04

jonnytub, thanks for that info. The standalone I was looking at is the Liteon (same as yours).

As these transfers are from Beta you probably realise that they are very old. The quality isn't an issue, they are very old tapes and mostly in black and white. I just want to get them on to a current media before my Beta recorder packs up. I started to transfer them to to VHS but the quality went from bad to worse.

Each tape has between 2-3 different programmes on so it looks like the best way forward is to just put one programme on one DVD. eg. three 1 hour programmes = 3 DVDs (still takes up less space than 1 tape).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5