Something taken over my PC

Chrissib 15:16 30 Dec 08

Since about 2 weeks ago, I have been having trouble with my PC, but its in the form of many symptoms.
1).I have no restore points before 28th. December, and I cant move back to earlier months than December..
2).I cannot view system files even though I have gone into advanced options and checked the option to show them..
3).Every time I go onto the internet, my privacy settings mysteriously always allow 'all cookies' even though I change the setting not to alow everytime I open IE..
4).Every time I run various virus checkers, Spybot, AVG, and others, they find and heal the same virusses over and over again..
5).Even though I change the option to allow automatic updates, the Icon still says I am not allowing the updates..
6).And finally, I get fake alerts telling me I have a virus, and I am in 'danger', then a virus checker tries to load. I have to kill the process to stop it..
I have looked on many sites but as I have multiple symptoms, there does not appear to be many known remedies for all the problems, and they all try to sell me something first. I am thinking of reformatting, but this is an extreme I am reluctant to do as I was never given the Windows disks when I bought the PC, and do not have a system to load back on. I am sure there is a way of identifying the critical files, to regain control of my system. I am almost certain that a virus is loading when I start the PC, but I don't know where to look.
Any Experts outhere with any suggestions, I would be grateful of any help.
Regards Chris

birdface 16:02 30 Dec 08

Try running your security programs in safe mode.If you can download Malwarebytes free version and update it and then run in safe mode also.You could always try System restore in safe mode and see if it works,Once you have run all of your security programs and deleted what they have found.Run C Cleaner.Then go to System restore and switch it off.It can be switched back on when your system is clear.

birdface 16:04 30 Dec 08

Oops remember to reboot the computer when leaving safe mode.

birdface 16:09 30 Dec 08

Another good program for getting your computer clean is Superantispyware that is also free and very good.Now another way out is to open another user account as an administrator.And use that temporary till you get your user account fixed.

alB 16:10 30 Dec 08

After trying butemans' suggestions run the free online spyware scanner from click here ...alB

Chrissib 12:23 05 Jan 09

Thanks for your help.

Most of the problems have ceased, but I have noted there is a new one which may be related.

I cannot follow any hi-lighted or underlined links from web sites. I click on them, but nothing happens.

Also many sites say that I needs an 'Adobe activex plugin' which I have downloaded several times but doesn't make any difference. Many of what should be images on web sites are blank with an 'x' in the top left hand corner of the blank boxes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

provider 2 13:17 05 Jan 09

It`s quite possible the cessation of problems may be only temporary. Many of these things are designed to return repeatedly unless you do as buteman has suggested ie, run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntispyware in Safe Mode and have them remove all that they find (or at least, quarantinr first) then clear your System Restore points by stopping and restarting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac