Something seems to be very wrong

pj123 10:57 05 Nov 04

My friend has had her computer redone, HDD reformatted, Win98SE reinstalled, all other programmes installed. NTL BB installed and running. Complete up-to-date Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and AVG all running.

She ran AVG, Adaware and Spybot yesterday (Thursday). AVG found 2 Viruses which were successfully put in the vault and subsequently deleted. Adaware found 171 new objects, also deleted. Spybot found nothing.

This morning (Friday) Adaware has found 148 new objects and Spybot was again clear.

Is there something not working properly on this computer. I have exactly the same setup as her and I tried Adaware and Spybot both of which gave an all clear signal.

I have Outpost Firewall running on mine and as far as I know she does not have a firewall running, but isn’t Spywareblaster supposed to stop intrusions from getting in. It seems to work OK on my Computer. Have just run Adaware again on my computer and this time it has come up with 26 negligible objects. What is a negligible object?

ACOLYTE 11:01 05 Nov 04

Have you upgraded spywareblaster to the new version?3.2 i think,and a negligable object is like usage tracks,like what files/programs you have opened most are harmless.

Chris..b 11:36 05 Nov 04

Most of the problems i think would be from websites visited. These install trace cookies, and these are picked up by adaware.

For added security go to the control panel, click on internet options and then security.

You can change settings for different sites. Medium security is recommended, but can be changed.

If you dont know what options do what it is probably best to leave the setting alone.

pj123 12:05 05 Nov 04

ACOLYTE, Just looked at my Spywareblaster and updated it, Yes it is now 3.2. Will ring my friend and tell her to try the update. Thanks.

Chris..b Hasn't been on the internet since the reformat.

joethebow 12:29 05 Nov 04

Your computer has been hijacked by a piece of malicious software. I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. Someone here on the forum recommended a piece of software called Hijack This. I downloaded it from

click here

a very amall piece of software that runs quickly but what it does is incredible. I havn't had amy more problems.

Basically it lists all programmes that download or install things on your PC. You just tick the boxes of the ones you don't want, click go, job done.

If you don't understand the log just copy it and paste it here, we'll tell you what to leave alone. However I deleted the entire list and all I lost was my homepage and the Google Toolbar, easily reinstalled.

pj123 13:13 05 Nov 04

joethebow, thanks for the link. Although it scans your computer for free, to actually get rid of anything it finds you have to register which costs $30. You didn't mention that in your response.

Graham ® 13:22 05 Nov 04

You can manually delete items it lists.

joethebow 13:48 05 Nov 04

A thousand appologies, I gave you the wrong link. In my enthusiasim to help I picked the wrong link.

This is the right one.

click here

pj123 14:36 05 Nov 04

joethebow, That looks better. I have downloaded that one.

Graham, just tried to manually delete but no go. All I get is "to delete the selected items you must register" or words to that effect.

pj123 14:44 05 Nov 04

Getting even worse. Just had a phone call

"have just switched on and once again TROJAN HORSE DROPPER came up with Temp Inst"l.exe"

What is the best way out of this situation please?

iambeavis 14:48 05 Nov 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…