Something Nasty on My Computer

B33J 12:22 04 Jan 07

The other week I was downloading a file and once I had it a .txt file told me to donwload a piece of software called NetPumper to be able to view the file. I did so and ever since I have had something nasty on my machine. I have removed NetPumper and run a number of spyware scans, trojan scans, registry cleans, virus scans, you name it, and it still seems to be there taking up lots of memory, creating pop-ups and not allowing me to bring up on screen exactly what I type. Does anyone know of this problem and any software ican use to deal with it?

Many thanks.

Technotiger 12:25 04 Jan 07

Hi, if using XP, you could try disabling System Restore and then running your anti-everything programs again. Nasties sometimes hide within SR.

Technotiger 12:27 04 Jan 07

Or perhaps better still - try this ...

click here

birdface 15:34 04 Jan 07

Hi just opened your click here, Mcaffee site Advisor jumped in with a red warning not to use that site,Might be one to take of your list.

Technotiger 15:40 04 Jan 07

Hi, thanks for that, though no such problems here? I have all the usual AVG, Spyware, etc plus Kerio Pro.

Cheers.

Technotiger 15:42 04 Jan 07

ps - maybe a 'false positive' from Mcaffee.

beynac 16:00 04 Jan 07

'ScanSpyware' is on Spyware Warrior's list of rogue programs. Both McAfee SiteAdvisor and FireTrust SiteHound give warnings for that site.

I would strongly advise against disabling System Restore. You will lose all of your restore points - good and bad. Effectively, you are getting rid of your backup just when you may need it. Any 'nasties' in System Restore are isolated. They cannot get back into the system unless you do a restore. It is best to clean the computer and THEN flush system restore and create a clean restore point.

Technotiger 16:02 04 Jan 07

Thanks - very sensible advice, I will certainly heed what has beend said here, even though I have not had any such problems. Never too old to learn.

Technotiger 16:05 04 Jan 07

ps - btw, I got that link from Google!

ianeon 16:10 04 Jan 07

With reference to what BEYNAC has said - go to this site click here - and download a programme called Rogue Remover - it is very good - In fact the whole site is very interesting

cocteau48 16:43 04 Jan 07

Thanks ianeon.
Have just tried Rogue Remover and it has highlighted the Eusing Free Registry Cleaner on my system as being malware.
The snapfiles site from which it was downloaded states that it does not contain any adware or spyware.
Any comments anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos