Someone using my wireless network

suedeblue 17:52 13 Apr 08

Does anyone know if I can prevent someone from using my wireless network to connect to the internet. I have a BT hub and the wireless light has been light flashing all weekend.
I currently have no other computers connected to my home network.
It also seems to have slowed down my broadband speed.

howard64 17:58 13 Apr 08

You should have set up an ssid password which should keep others out. On my netgear router on the setup pages there is a way of turning off the wireless signal when not required. Not got a bt home hub so cannot help for that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 13 Apr 08

you need to security enable your wirelss using WPA or WPA2

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 13 Apr 08

click here

audio explanations of how to set up

suedeblue 18:09 13 Apr 08

Thanks Howard64 and Fruit Bat.

I've looked at the link you provided Fruit Bat, but I cannot seem to access the options on the link.
At the time of the original set-up a BT engineer installed the hub.

jarani 18:40 13 Apr 08

xxx

Zak 19:01 13 Apr 08

click here

Looks like just what uo need. Please read right through.

Good luck.

suedeblue 19:38 13 Apr 08

Thanks Zak.

I have taken a look and think that I have the old firware version as my hub is over a year old.
I am going to try and get the updated version.

deadwoodman 23:45 13 Apr 08

your bt hub should have all security set up as default i used to have one and it came setup by default. however on the back of it will be the network key. as someone got hold of it ?? reset the box to default by unplugging it and pressing the button on the back (10 seconds).. restart it. from a wired connection type 192.168.1.1 into your web browser. you bt home password and user name are 'admin'. disable wifi. change your ssid to sky098767 (this will confuse who ever it as sky as a diffrent default password) then change your network key under wireless. this might help

suedeblue 08:27 14 Apr 08

Hi deadwoodman.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…