Someone is trying to access my Hotmail account

Si_L 22:24 22 Aug 08

Recently, I have had messages appearing on my MSN Hotmail email account that I need to refresh the browser if I am accessing it from more than one place - which I'm definitely not doing.

So I changed my password just to be sure, and the day after, I go to log-in, and it says: LOCKOUT: You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect e-mail address or password.

I can reset my password so thats not the problem, the problem is that someone is trying to read my messages for some reason. On Gmail, it has a list of IP's that have logged into the account, is there one for Hotmail?

Si_L 22:37 22 Aug 08

I spoke too soon, my p/w was changed, but I managed to reset it with my secret answer/question. What is going on?

rdave13 22:41 22 Aug 08

Could be that you use the 'remember me and password' feature and you may be already logged in.
Should have updated to Windows Live and never use the 'save password' facility.
Try again and see if you can log out.

DieSse 23:02 22 Aug 08

I've had exactly that problem - I changed my password and it's gone away.

However I am still getting what look like fake messages from one particular contact, consisting of an odd web link incorporating their msn nickname. I don't know yet where that is coming from.

Si_L 23:08 22 Aug 08

That was my first thought, and explains the first problem, where the browser (Firefox) wanted to refresh, but not the second, where my password was changed.

DieSse 23:17 22 Aug 08

Have a read here -it seems to explain it all.

click here

rdave13 23:20 22 Aug 08

I know people recommend Firefox but I have my doubts about the browser. It's too popular and has too many popular add-ons.
It comes highly recommended as being secure but I have tried different versions of it and feel it's not that secure.
Just my preference and would add that IE7 and future IE8 will be more secure than Mozilla.

Will now await the flack.... :-|

Si_L 23:37 22 Aug 08

I based my choice of browser on security, I looked into both a few years ago, and on the whole I think most people would lean towards FF. I don't think switching browser would solve my problem.

rdave13 23:39 22 Aug 08

Point taken, so no security leak then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…