Someone recommend a cheap bundle?

May the Schwarz be with you... 23:58 11 Jun 03

Hi, my brother's PC recently died and I think the reason was because the heatsink/fan died and therefore, the CPU must have burnt out. But I can't seem to remove the heat spreader to see if the die is burnt. I'm not also sure if the motherboard is working or not. Everything else seems ok such as the PSU and drives.

He had an AMD K6-2 500Mhz on a MS5182 mATX motherboard and a mATX case with a 145W PSU I think.

I'm not looking to spend much, probably not over £50 because I just want to get a new CPU, motherboard and heatsink/fan to get his PC up and running again. Also, it would have to be SDRAM I'm afraid because DDR RAM is quite expensive now and I was thinking of getting 512MB myself.

A more expensive option though would be to buy him a new ATX case with a 300W PSU, give him my ECS K75SA motherboard, Duron 1.3Ghz with heatsink/fan and add my 256MB SDRAM to his 128 SDRAM. With the new case for him, I would also buy for myself a new motherboard, 256MB DDR RAM, at least a XP 2100+ and heatsink/fan but I want to keep this as close to £100 if possible.

So can anyone recommend places where I can buy soem cheap bundles for my brother? I was looking at ebay but I have decided to thoroughly check out some reliable companies first.

woodchip 00:04 12 Jun 03

Have a look at this, but you would need a ATX case and a stick of SDRAM click here

Thats a nice bundle there. I already have 128MB SDRAM in my brother's PC but I guess I will need that ATX case. Should be able to pick up a cheap one on ebuyer. Cheers.

pj123 14:14 12 Jun 03

Take a look at this site and click on Bundles or Special Offers. click here

Agent Smith 14:32 12 Jun 03

Thanks for the link PJ my friend is looking for an inexpensive PC for her 10 year daughter for crimbo.

pj123 15:19 12 Jun 03

You're welcome. Did you check out Second User? Give us a ring, we give good advice over the fone.

Hi, I still haven't yet bought something to help fix my brother's PC. I didn't go for the bundle above because he told me that he might like to upgrade it later on and it seems you can't do it with this motherboard. Cheapest alternative I have found at the moment is an ECS motherboard, AMD Thunderbird 1.1Ghz and Coolermaster heatsink/fan for me and then I would give him my ECS motherboard and AMD Duron 1.3Ghz to my brother and buy a ATX case with 300W and that is about £90. Oh yea, is the AMD Thunderbird 1.1Ghz faster than an AMD Duron 1.3Ghz even if it's only on a 200Mhz FSB?

Help please?

bvw in bristol 21:12 11 Jul 03

is ticked as resolved most people will ignore it now, might be better to start a new one.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant