is someone pinching my broadband

armacomroll 15:41 08 Feb 07

I have a pc and laptop which I use with a wi-fi router for connecting to the internet. I have password protected the network using the WPA pre-shared key but on veiwing my history of ADSL Bandwidth Usage I find that there is ingoing and outgoing useage during the Off Peak (1 am to 6 am)
period. As I never use the internet during this period and and nobody else has access to my computers how can this happen. Both pc and laptop are switched off at night.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 08 Feb 07

Could be router checking for updates.

If you are protected by WPA then it should be secure apart from changing the key there is little else you cando other than switching off the router aswell.

leedaz 16:04 08 Feb 07

In your router config manager, Turn 'mac address control' on in 'allow mode' and configure so only your 2 systems can access the router. click start-run type ipconfig /all to find mac addresses of your network adapters and allow access to those only.

leedaz 16:17 08 Feb 07

Run ipconfig /all from a command prompt window. Not start-run.

leedaz 16:20 08 Feb 07

You're looking for physical address of adapter. Something like 00-18-FE-F6-3E-A8.

Batch 16:23 08 Feb 07

Some (maybe all) routers allow you to configure the allowed MAC list from the router's web pages. You just connect the relevant PCs and then go to the routers pages and pick the MAC addresses (and hence PCs) that you want acess permitted for.

Note that wireless laptops typically have two MAC addresses - one for the wireless and and one for the wired.

BTW, your router's log may also shed some light on whether anyone else is accessing it.

armacomroll 16:41 08 Feb 07

thanks I'll have another look at configuring my router and finding my mac addresses

RickyC :-) 16:48 08 Feb 07

I use Airsnare - which is great for alerting you to any new devices which are trying to connect to your wireless network.

We included this on a recent PC Advisor cover disc, or you can click here for details.

regards

Richard
Cover Disc Editor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009