Someone has hijacked my address book

Allan RISC OS user 16:07 12 Dec 10
Answered

I use Thunderbird, and yesterday I received 3 emails headed "Hello Friend" one of which I opened in error. It was rubbish, and AVG gave it a clean bill of health. I deleted all three and thought no more of it, but now when I speak to some of the people in my address book they report that they have received the email, but that it looks as if it has come from me.

I have carried out full AVG, Adaware and Spybot scans and nothing has shown. I also have ZoneAlarm installed and running at all times. I have Broadband via a Router and use the wired LAN facility and the Wireless LAN is off and has never been used. The Router has its own Firewall, I will change the passwords on my email addresses.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and is there anything more I should do to ensure my computer has not been taken over in some way?

T0SH 20:06 12 Dec 10
Answer

Changs your email login password

Cheers HC

Woolwell 20:28 12 Dec 10

Most likely a spammer has got hold of your e-mail address and is sending spoof e-mail heading using your address instead of the spammers. click here This is regrettably fairly common. If hotmail then urgently change your password.

Allan RISC OS user 21:53 12 Dec 10

Thanks for the replies, I have changed my password in Yahoo.
I will look for a programme to check for worms, any suggestions?

Allan RISC OS user 22:12 12 Dec 10

I have run Trend Micro's House Call and it has not found any problems, do you know if a worm would be found by this program?

Woolwell 22:56 12 Dec 10

Run Malwarebytes but I doubt that it will find anything. These spammers are a pain.

ashdav 00:02 13 Dec 10

I had exactly the same problem around 2 weeks ago.
(Changed my email account password immediately)
Seems the emails to everyone in my Thunderbird address book did not come from my email account but had my addy as the header.
It only happened once but no antivirus/malware scans returned any results so I suspect it was related to a website I visited.
Doesn't help you but you are not alone.

Allan RISC OS user 13:56 13 Dec 10

I have used the scan as advised and still noting found, so will have to stop worrying.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…