Someone Else's broadband?

manrow 21:37 29 Mar 08

While at a family home today I connected my laptop to a wi-fi connection. I then tried to download a file, and the download got slower and slower until it failed.

I then discovered I was connected to a neighbour's broadband rather than my daughter's since her router was turned off!

My computer would not then connect to any of the available networks; can anyone explain why?

Not all of them were password protected, but they would not connect. A new page came up on my computer asking me to name the network, which I declined as I did not understand what was going on.

I was delighted on returning home to find my laptop was still operating normally. So what was it trying to tell me, or to do when other networks were offered?

Strawballs 22:35 29 Mar 08
  Dipso 22:42 29 Mar 08

Not sure but probably the signal was too weak?? Take heed of Strawballs link though.

johnnyrocker 23:04 29 Mar 08

i would think a reboot would have solved connection at your daughters, ref strawballs link, i have to say that the onus should be on the wi fi home user having an unprotected system.

johnny.

laurie53 09:03 30 Mar 08

Can't see that Strawballs' link is relevant.

You have to prove intent to prove stealing, and this would appear to be entirely accidental.

jbaker65 09:18 30 Mar 08

I think that Strawballs was only pointing out that wifi may not be secure!

johnnyrocker 09:40 30 Mar 08

"You have to prove intent to prove stealing, and this would appear to be entirely accidental"

hence my view that the owner of the connection is at fault.

johnny.

K_elt 12:41 30 Mar 08

As Dipso says, the signal from the other networks was probably too weak for a successful connection.

I think the relevance of the link provided is that, although you were aware your daughter's router was off, you then tried to access another unprotected connection, knowing it wasn't your daughters.

Depending on how well your daughter gets on with her neighbours, she may feel ok to pass on to them that you were able to link to their connection, and recommend they secure their wifi. I'm sure they would see it as a friendly gesture, and she could always point them to this forum if they needed help in changing router settings!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…