Somebody's reading my files!

DannyOH 09:26 14 Dec 04

I am writing a book. Being in good command of the language, I use many words not normally encountered elsewhere. Lately I have been concerned as more and more of these words--too many of them to be a mere coincidence--are turning up in my spam!

I am using Windows XP (SP2)--with TWO Ad blockers installed (File sharing OFF) and yet somebody out there appears to be reading my files.

This is serious guys!

Or am I imagining it?

DannyOH 09:29 14 Dec 04

Forgot to add: Windows SP2 Firewall is also working away--supposedly!

justme 10:20 14 Dec 04

I can't comment on whether someone is reading your files, but if you are concerned about the safety of your future book then may I suggest that you store it on discs or cds which you only insert into your computer when necessary.

You could also store the manuscript in an encrypted form so that nobody could read it without the password. There are many programs available which would permit you to do this.

Dumble452 10:24 14 Dec 04

This might get a better response on the Helproom forum. It does sound worrying.

DannyOH 10:43 14 Dec 04

Thannks for your imput, JustMe. I appreciate it, but I think you are missing the point.

Personal data files are not supposed to be accessible to just anyone over the Net. If they are, then nothing is safe.

Sir Radfordin 17:17 14 Dec 04

Are you sure you don't have a virus? There are some virus apps that will pick out random words from emails, documents etc and send emails with them in.

Dumble452 09:01 15 Dec 04

I'm just interested as to what caused the problem and how you resolved it.

Confab 10:05 15 Dec 04

You've ticked this one as resolved but you might want to try some of these to see if you have any viruses/trojans on your PC.

Trends online virus scan called Housecall will check you PC for any viruses. It's free and is done online click here and click the "scan now its free" link.

Download Ad-aware from click here it will check your PC for trojans/ad-aware etc.

Download Spybot from click here it will do as ad-aware but lightly differently.

You could also try Regseeker from click here this
will clean your registry.

Do you have an anti-virus and firewall software installed on your PC?

Confab 10:09 15 Dec 04

Perhaps someone could posta link for a decent firewall checker for you. I use Zonealarm which is free and works well for me.

Confab

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:49 15 Dec 04

If you have an up to date AV and any firewall you will be protected. It is highly unlikely that anyone has 'hacked' into a home computer and I have yet to see proof that a home computer has had files taken and read...thi sincludes passwords. If someone really wanted to get into a home computer no firewall would stop them and I speak as someone who does not use any firewall. If the North American Missile Defence System, BT and barclays can be hacked, a firewall will be as much use as a chocolate teapot. I think that you may be imagining this. You have enough 'protection' so I would not worry one whit.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:51 15 Dec 04

You do not need to check your firewall, it is adequate. In any case there are several programmes (TooLeakey being one that even barrow-boy Gibson grudgingly admits to) that will by-pass any firewall. A few interesting observations about Paranoia Gibson....click here

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…