Somebody's been reading my files!

DannyOH 10:48 14 Dec 04

(The guys over in Speakers' Corner suggested I post this here as well.)

I am writing a book. Being in good command of the language, I use many words not normally encountered elsewhere. Lately I have been concerned as more and more of these words--too many of them to be a mere coincidence--are turning up in my email "Subject" lines as spam!

I am using Windows XP (SP2)--with TWO Ad blockers installed (File Sharing OFF and Windows Firewall ON) and yet somebody out there appears to be reading my files.

This is serious guys!

Or am I imagining it?

Gongoozler 12:01 14 Dec 04

Have you done a complete antivirus sweep of your computer recently?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:22 14 Dec 04

Sounds like spyware of keystroke logger. Run antivirus and antispyware, Windows firewall is pretty crap install another and switch off windows firewall.

Free programs linked below the choice is ypurs, recomend and use myself Zone Alarm, Avast, spyware blaster, spybot and adaware. when installed check for latest updates for all of them.

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here

Mango Grummit 12:51 14 Dec 04

What words are these?

DannyOH 13:06 14 Dec 04

I have Norton Antivirus (2003), Spybot and Adaware in use and all bang up to date.

Isn't Windows SP2 Firewall supposed to be a serious contender? Guess not.

Sweep my computer once a week--or more often when I get an itch.

I haven't been keeping a record of the words which show up in my spam subject lines. I've just deleted them along with the rest. You know the type of spam--it has a characteristically redundant subject line, usually with a word appearing completely out of context tacked on at the end (sometimes after a hyphen). The last one, however, was "candour"--not your most common word. (Note the British spelling. Since ninety percent of spam comes from the US, this only adds to my suspicions.)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:09 14 Dec 04

Windows FW only blocks incoming ZA will also block outgoing until you set permission, This stops spyware from sending back to originators.

DannyOH 13:11 14 Dec 04

Further to my last:

It makes it redundant, don't you think, if, having a fast computer, so much of what would otherwise be fully available computing power is swallowed up by having to run so much of what might best be called "defence-ware"? It odesn't half Piss me off!

DannyOH 13:14 14 Dec 04

Outgoing? Ahhh!

Another thing my mother never told me!
Zone Alarm it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…