some windows lists turned blue

RussWoo 20:14 21 Jul 08

This is an odd one. Suddenly, some of the listings in Windows, (say in Word listing window or against the icon in Windows Explorer and under thumbnails or folders) have turned from black to blue. This is quite random; the majority of words have turned blue - as if if you hovered over them with the cursor they would become a link - except they don't. Performance otherwise seems completely normal. The only tinkering I've done recently was a disk clean up (which released an unusual amount of space on my hard disc)and defrag.

I'm using XP Home.

Any ideas please?

Bixbox

Gongoozler 20:18 21 Jul 08

Right-click a blue file or folder, select "Properties" and I think that you will find that
it's compressed.

VoG II 20:19 21 Jul 08
  RussWoo 20:30 21 Jul 08

Thanks very much chaps. It all makes sense now. I read that it doesn't necessarily help to compress files because it can take a while to open them because they have to de-compress. Doesn't seem to have bothered me. I've set it so those files are not coloured.

Thanks again for great and speady responses.

Bixbox.

Gongoozler 20:54 21 Jul 08

Setting the compressed not to display as blue doesn't stop them being compressed!
There is an advantage to compressing rarely used files because, as you have found, that can release a lot of disk space, but frequently used files are better not compressed to reduce the time to open them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos