Some USB devices do not work on my pc

Niven 10:52 25 Mar 10

I have an Advent desktop pc purchased in 2004 running Windows XP SP3. Windows was pre-installed, but I have updated to Service Pack 3. The keyboard & mouse are USB, I have a 1Gb thumb drive, mobile phone & Philips MP3 player which all work ok. I bought a Sandisk Cruzer 2Gb drive, a wireless keyboard & mouse. When plugged in all these new devices install drivers but conclude by telling me that there was a problem and the devices are faulty and may not work (they don't work at all). I bought a 5 port internal USB hub, plugged it into the pc and got the same response. If I boot the pc into Ubuntu all the devices work as expected, they also work on other pc's. In addition, after installing Ubuntu if I boot into Windows the Ubuntu partition is treated as new hardware and I get the same failure message that comes with USB devices - drive may be faulty.
Has anyone got any ideas why some USB devices don't work, but others do?

EARLR 10:56 25 Mar 10

Sounds like You are missing drivers for the new hardware.

Niven 11:58 25 Mar 10

Think you are right. However, keyboard and 5 port card came with driver software, which was installed, but Windows continues to give the faulty message. Any suggestions where I can get drivers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 25 Mar 10

click here

Shows all USB devices also allows you to delet the ones your not using this will clean out the registry of defunct USB items .

reconnect your device and they should then be found and installed correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…