Some strange problems in windows 98

barnettgs 13:53 27 Feb 03

I have installed new harddrive amd CD-RW on 2 year old computer and clean-install windows 98.

Some strange problem comes up thats never happened before. When I use CD from magazine to update Internet Explorer with IE Service Package 1. It has stated 'failing' to updates all and tell me to restart and try again.

Also when I insert Application CD on it, a window comes up 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.'

and also, for Window 98 cd, it states that it's not a valid windows 32, something like that.

I'm very confused as there are many problem coming in from but I believe it has to do with Asus 5224 CD-RW drive or Window Operating System.

Also when I tried to create boot up floppy disk, it tell me to insert win98 CD but couldn't copy it.

What could go wrong?

eccomputers 14:33 27 Feb 03

just try putting your old cd-rom back into the machine and these steps again to see if the problem goes away. You may have some software installed which has basically 'taken over' the writer giving problems.
When you run the IE update, disable anti virus if you have any running.

Diemmess 14:35 27 Feb 03

Not clear whether this new installation has ever worked properly.
Just a guess but you may not have prepared your new HD before installing Win 98

Try Program Files >Windows Accesories > System information.

It should show your Hdisk and its capacity, also it should show FAT 32. If it says FAT 16 then you would be better to start all over again, but using FDISK first to set large disk support (32) and perahps partition it into smaller logical drives.

woodchip 14:47 27 Feb 03

before you do anything have you cleared the temporary file in windows explorer. If not do it now, then run system file checker from start/run type SFC run the program look for corrupt files. Then try reinstalling your Internet explorer

woodchip 15:02 27 Feb 03

PS have you loaded your motherboard drivers

barnettgs 15:05 27 Feb 03

I have found out that the problem is solved by disabling DMA mode in both primary and secondary IDE.

After restarting, IE6 is installed no problem.

So I guess DMA mode doesn't work for Window 98 with motherboard (GA-5VMM) or DMA shouldn't be enabled in Window 98 system? click here for motherboard details

And does it matter whether DMA is enabled or not for CD writing with Nero software?

I guess I left them enabled when I was installed VIA 4-1 drivers from CD supplied with Motherboard.

woodchip 15:13 27 Feb 03

For CDRW DMA is better switched of, and on for HARD Drives and DVD

Stuartli 15:35 27 Feb 03

I have Windows 98SE and both my Pioneer DVD-ROM and TDK CyClone drives have DMA enabled; Auto Insert Notification is disabled for the Pioneer as Nero controls its operation.

I think that Diemmess is on the right track because of barnettgs's fourth paragraph in his thread.

Stuartli 15:41 27 Feb 03

This is the support page for your Asus rewriter:

click here

barnettgs 15:43 27 Feb 03

Oh well...DVD rom has to be disabled otherwise it will not read install application CDs, giving error messages. Also the same goes for CD-RW, so they have to be disabled. Not sure about harddrive but I will to do trial and error with CD-RW drive and see what happens.

I just realised it has nothing to do with Windows system as it could be motherboard that may not support DMA mode?!

barnettgs 16:04 27 Feb 03

CD buring works at last

I have disabled DMA in all of these drives including harddrive...CD buring is successful!

If DMA enabled, CD burner will not work or incomplete writing AND applications CD will not able to install as error messages comes up like this: 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.'

So I suppose DMA will not work with motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…