Some sites will some sites wont

tlr 20:33 26 Aug 04

I am having bother logging in to some sites particularly Yahoo and ebay, they work ok, up to the point where I log in then they displat and error screen talking about 'cannot find server'. I thought it was the protection settings were too high but I can log into my bank without any problems and that is surely more sensitive info!
Anyone have any suggestions??

I am running XP Home, internet explorer 6 and do email via Outlook. I am up to date with Microsoft updates, I have Norton internet protection as well as Norton systemworks and they are all up to date. My ISP is Virgin.net

Dave

Dorsai 21:16 26 Aug 04

I personally think, and without and proof, or grounds to reach this dicision, that is is XP SP2.

How many people world wide must be downloading this patch, and then posting to various threads discussing the problems they are having, or downloading the latest drivers to fix compatabililty issues.

Or noticing that the Net has slowed down, and asking 'why has the net slowed down'

Or seeing the question 'why so slow' and posting back...

Bapou 21:37 26 Aug 04

You could try clearing out your browser Internet Explorer's cache.

Click on Tools> Internet Options> Highlight Temporary Internet Files> click on Delete.

Then click OK, Click on Settings button Under the section 'Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages' select 'Every Visit to The Page'.
Click Ok
Click OK
Then click Refresh and reload your Browser.

tlr 23:14 28 Sep 04

More puzzeling is that some nights I can get on these sites and during the day I can't so I dont think its my settings.
Internet cache is empties everyday after a surf session.
SP2 not yet installed!!!

lotvic 00:26 29 Sep 04

I agree with Bapou. Mine has been better since I did this about 2 weeks ago.
(quote) "Click on Settings button Under the section 'Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages' select 'Every Visit to The Page'. Click Ok Click OK Then click Refresh and reload your Browser" (quote)

Stuartli 11:13 29 Sep 04

So what do you have to say now...:-))

dave.engsurv 11:32 29 Sep 04

I have had simular to this with Virgin.24/7. I think it may be just the system overloaded at the time you log on.
By the way read today that Branson has sold last 51% of Virgin net to NTL, who now own all of Virgin.net!
dave.engsurv

Stuartli 12:12 29 Sep 04

Virgin on the ridiculous to not own a company bearing your brand name...:-)

tlr 22:51 17 Oct 04

Looks like its down to traffic, although my windows 98 laptop can access it even when my XP desktop can't.........wierd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…