Some regular forum helpers are complaining

Forum Editor 00:40 07 Jul 04

that they're being inundated with email that comes via the email links alongside everybody's forum name.

We provide these links so that you can contact anorther forum user if invited to do so, or if you want to pass on information in a confidential manner. Unsolicited mail can be a nuisance, and messages that relate to forum threads should be posted in the thread - otherwise other forum users are deprived of the chance to see the advice offered.

PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ANOTHER FORUM USER UNLESS INVITED TO DO SO.

Smegs 01:25 07 Jul 04

Well put, F.E. Take care.

Gaz 25 01:29 07 Jul 04

Thanks.

Regards,
Gareth

hugh-265156 01:32 07 Jul 04

i don't mind if anybody wishes to mail me directly and am glad to help out if i can, please feel free to do so if you wish but as the FE says above, the forum is the place to post your responses and that way everybody else can see it and offer their advice, hopefully finding the solution to your problem a lot faster. i usually post any email here anyway.

everything i know about computers i picked up from the more knowledable members here so keep posting in the forum. i just google for it and blag it anyway :-)

Smegs 01:48 07 Jul 04

huggyg71, you've let the cat out of the bag there. Don't listen to what Huggyg71 says anymore. ;-))

hugh-265156 02:14 07 Jul 04

indeed lol. :-)

Pesala 05:14 07 Jul 04

Instead of:

To help pinpoint the nature of your problem, please provide specific technical details. for example, if you have a hardware query please state your operating system, processor speed and ram.

Try something like:

This facility is provided for the convenience of forum members to send private messages. Most do not like to receive private messages except by invitation. Please post all questions and responses on the forum.

Pesala 05:16 07 Jul 04

Has no message at all. Why not add a short note there too, explaining that it is only to be used to report abuse, flaming, etc.?

Old Shep 09:31 07 Jul 04

Wasn't me complaining Gov - honest. Although I have had two in two days and asked they post on the forum so everyone knows whats happening.

Djohn 09:57 07 Jul 04

It's not so much that we mind being contacted direct, I try to answer all mail from the forum but when a request comes through to an individual the rest of the forum miss out on helping solve the problem.

The member contacted may not have the answer, other forum members may know and can solve the problem straight away. If the request remains in the forum individual members can help or sit back if not sure of the correct answer.

At times, for many reasons one of us may not be able to deal with a request immediately due to other commitments or health problems, the poster will not realise this and think we are being extremely rude in ignoring their request for help but nothing could be further from the truth.

By all means contact me if you wish to ask a personal question or just a quick clarification on a point raised but other than that its always best to keep the question in the forum so that all can see and offer help.

Regards j.

BIG ben strikes 10 10:53 07 Jul 04

will do.well actully won't do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…