Some people have reported problems

Forum Editor 00:07 23 Aug 04

with the forum email facility - it seems that some emails sent between forum members using the envelope icons alongside usernames in the threads are going to the wrong recipients.

We're obviously looking into this, but a though has occurred to us. Many regular forum members have complained in the past that they are deluged with mail sent this way, and have had to use different email addresses for their personal mail as a result. We're wondering if we really need this facility at all - could we manage quite well without it? Other forums do, and perhaps we could, what do you think?

If there's a general feeling that we should retain the facility we will, otherwise we'll seriously consider stopping it altogether.

powerless 00:12 23 Aug 04

"We're wondering if we really need this facility at all - could we manage quite well without it? Other forums do, and perhaps we could, what do you think?"

Scrap it.

But there is always going to be people wanting to contact other members and I think [me myself] members would not post there email address on the forum for obvious reasons. So maybe an alternative contact method should be thought of of.

/

CurlyWhirly 00:15 23 Aug 04

I say scrap it as well - I have NEVER used it so far and what forum members say between themselves can be said OUTSIDE this forum IMHO.
CW

end 00:19 23 Aug 04

thanks for "looking into" the envelope" glitch";

and would prefer to keep the system, as on some of the threads I have been following the envelope availability has proved invaluable to communicate information that has perhaps helped to keep a thread length "reasonable";

what other way is there of communicating directly with members if it is "felt appropriate" by a postee?

has the use of the enveloping reduced since the change of the "spam " and privacy message on the envelope posting page:)

Dan the Confused 00:21 23 Aug 04

Keep it. I very rarely use it, and very rarely have anything sent to me but it's nice to have (can be useful in some cases). It also helps keep the unique social feel of this forum that other forums lack.

end 00:24 23 Aug 04

how do you communicate with members "off- forum" if you do not know how to do it, and have no "original contact" to use:)

alternative contact method..yes, but what and how:)

OR...another section OF PCA forum perhaps...?

Djohn 00:36 23 Aug 04

As end says how would one make the initial contact without the envelope to then continue a conversation in private.

I receive many e-mails through my envelope and they come to my main address but I then have the choice of answering them in the forum or from my Hotmail account or if it is someone I know and trust I use my main address.

I have built up many contacts and cyber friends over the years I've been a member of this forum and this has been due to the envelope facility.

Today alone I have made 2 offers in the forum to send items that I no longer need to people who have a problem in finding them still on sale. Without the envelope facility then this could no longer be done. j.

Forum Editor 01:11 23 Aug 04

that the envelope contact method is not there so that you can email other forum users willy-nilly. Unsolicited emails can be most unwelcome, and I sometimes receive complaints from forum members who have been emailed without their knowledge and/or consent. The original idea of the email system was that you would be able to ask another member to email you, perhaps to discuss something perosnal, or something that didn't relate to the thread topic. If you use the system to ask for personal help with a problem, or to provide help on a one-to-one basis you may be depriving other forum members of the opportunity to see the resolution process at work.

So far that's two in favour of scrapping it and three against.

Djohn 01:27 23 Aug 04

Yes, I understand that FE and just to clarify my post above. I made the offers in the forum thread so that they could contact me via my envelope if they so wished. That way they could provide me with a Postal address which is something they could not do in the open forum.

Regards. j.

Belatucadrus 01:35 23 Aug 04

Bin it, if I get any comments via e-mail I always post a transcript and any answer in the thread.

Simsy 05:33 23 Aug 04

as both a sender and recipient, in the past, and my overall preference would be to keep it.

However, you refer to other forums managing without it... other forums also have the means to enable/disable the "allow others to send you a private email" feature.

How easy or possible it is I don't know, but I think the best possible option would be for a user to be able to enable this feature on a thread by thread basis. That way someone could post, "by all means send me a copy of the document...", (or whatever), and also turn the feature on, but so that it only works from that thread. It could then be disabled by the "Green tick", or by the user.

I suspect that I'm asking too much?

Food for thought anyway.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…