Some Linux questions.

Smocked 21:14 04 May 04

hi, i would like to try linux out, any version will do, but i just want to know a few things. If i use linux can i connect to my home network, with one pc being on windows xp pro, would they be able to communicate? Another question, i heard to run windows programs you have to use a windows emulator, does anyone know of a good one and where i can get it? And finally, will all my current hardware be compatible with linux, you know cause each piece of hardware has its own drivers and i don't know if it will all work. So please can someone fill me in thanks.

powerless 21:21 04 May 04

"If i use linux can i connect to my home network, with one pc being on windows xp pro, would they be able to communicate?" - To share files? ...But yes you can have 'em running together.

"Another question, i heard to run windows programs you have to use a windows emulator, does anyone know of a good one and where i can get it?" - click here

"And finally, will all my current hardware be compatible with linux, you know cause each piece of hardware has its own drivers and i don't know if it will all work." - Well at a guess, yes but without know your hardware were stuck.

Which distribution are you thinking of uisng?

Smocked 21:24 04 May 04

red hat maybe. Yes i meant to share files over my network. Thanks.

powerless 21:29 04 May 04

is having its plug pulled - no support.

Have a look at The Fedora Core - click here ummm by red hat. If you can hold off from installing The Fedora Core 2 is due shortly...

Mandrake is another [i use] click here

Smocked 21:30 04 May 04

if my pc specs will help.

msi kt4v mother board with 5.1 onboard sound
radeon 9200 graphics card
and a network card

Well these components all need drivers.

these dont

amd athlon xp 2800 barton
512 mb ddr
80 gb hdd
dvd rom
dvd rw dual

and thats it.

Smocked 21:33 04 May 04

thanks for the links. I might give mandrake a go.

woodchip 21:47 04 May 04

The easy ones for a new user are not redhat. You need Mandrake or suse linux. Drivers are written for hardware as the need arises for new hardware. i.e. not by you unless you are good at it, but by the free linux setup so the drivers are there on the linux CD or they are not. if you get the latest Linux Distrose you will have more drivers on the CD to support new hardware.
Not wanting to upset PCA but some dear Mags that Have DVD cover disc’s have these linux versions on the DVD but the dvd Mag’s are about £5.99 or just over £6 cannot remember. For Mandrake you do not need a formatted partition you should have about 4Gb free space Mandrake will see this and ask you if you want to install on that.

powerless 22:50 04 May 04
  Smocked 23:26 04 May 04

hi powerless. Great how-to-install guide, i followed the instructions to start download, click on one of the ftp mirrors and cant find the three iso files. Im trying the UK london download location.

powerless 23:32 04 May 04

Try here:

click here

LastChip 00:54 05 May 04

Go for Mandrake.

It really is very good now and easy to install.

I'm running 9.2, but only because it's on an old machine that's only got a 400MB CPU and even on that, it's faster than a 1900MB machine running Windows!

Be prepared or a steep learning curve though, just like the first time you used Windows. Linux is a slightly different concept, the main thing being, everything is switched OFF, so if you want to use an application or drive, you have to switch it on! This comes from the Unix background of securing everything. No bad thing in today's world!

Not too many people here that understand the system well, and I certainly wouldn't count myself as one, but loads of friendly help is available on the various Linux forums.

click here for a past thread that gives a lot of useful information, including some links for various software that can be used. Much of this, you will find on the distro CD's anyway. A search for Linux will reveal yet more threads on the subject.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…