some letterso not comeon screen when i type them

andy63walsh 16:40 15 Feb 08

some letters do not come on screen when i type them, it's random, any idea ?

bstb3 16:45 15 Feb 08

is it across all software? if so then dodgy keyboard springs to mind. Do you have an alternative you can try?

bstb3 16:46 15 Feb 08

also what type of keyboard is it? Wired, PS/2 USB, Wireless?

anskyber 16:55 15 Feb 08

Which operating system are you using and which browser?

andy63walsh 17:04 15 Feb 08

it isnt the keyboard as when i reboot it goes !
I use xp its my laptop.

andy63walsh 13:34 18 Feb 08

it is on all software, only now and then.

jack 13:59 18 Feb 08

I had a similar situation recently just the one - and it has not returned
In this case a whole word or character string would not come to screen but would appear later in the wrong place among other text the came after it
most odd I wondered if it may be a memory or web site refresh thing?

palinka 16:56 18 Feb 08

It can happen if your pc is dealing with something else at the same time (eg, your anti-virus is doing a scheduled scan) especially if you haven't a lot of "spare" memory. Happens on my laptop which is a little underpowered. If I "wave" my mouse around in frustration that letters/words are missing they will eventually appear where the mouse comes to rest, and that's not usually where I want to put them!

andy63walsh 18:15 18 Feb 08

i'm worried its a virus ? I use 'avast' and spyware terminator. i have upgraded the memory, so can't be that.

jack 20:04 18 Feb 08

thats a reasonable explanation
Multitasking it cant hack - must be a male computer ;-)

martjc 20:41 18 Feb 08

...you accidentally stroke the touchpad with the heel of your hand without noticing. This gives the effect you describe. I'm forever doing it - typing skills too slack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…