Some IE pages too wide - why?

bines 20:37 29 Apr 03

I am using IE with my Windows XP system.

Some (but not all) web pages I view are too wide to fit on the screen and I have to use the scroll bar - it's most annoying. I always close my Favourites window so it doesn't get in the way.

Sometimes, different pages on the same site have different widths.

Why do some pages display too wide and is there anything I can do at my end to correct it?

bines

Sion 20:42 29 Apr 03

What is your resolution on your monitor? Most modern Web sites are designed for use at a minimum of 800x600, and in some cases 1024x768. Adjust your resolution and see what happens.

bines 20:53 29 Apr 03

My resolution is 800 X 600. Surely if it were wrong it would affect ALL pages equally wouldn't it?

Thanks for the interest and reply.

bines

Lone Crow 21:34 29 Apr 03

If your screen resolution is set to the same as the website has optimised its content for, it will display correctly. If there is a mismatch, it won't. Simple as that. It's the best that can be achieved in the complicated and variable world of computing! LC.

bines 13:12 30 Apr 03

Thanks for the info, guess I'll just have to live with it like everybody else!

bines

Sir Radfordin™ 13:15 30 Apr 03

Its down to bad site design and nothing you can correct. You can play around with screen resolution and in most cases that will help.

The sites that look fine at the moment have been designed for a screen of your size. There is nothing to stop someone designing a site wider than any screen.

Its like a book, they aren't all the same size.

woodchip 13:24 30 Apr 03

The problem is not your computer but the fault of those who created the Webb page. They have written the script for a higher resolution monitor and failed to set it to auto change to the resolution that you are using. You could try the next res up from 800x600 to see if it's better

DieSse 13:28 30 Apr 03

Make sure your IE window is maximised, not simply dragged out to the full screen size. Depending on the web design, some pages may need sideways scrolling if the page is not maximised.

Other than that, as stated above, it's simply poor design. There are very few pages that need above 800x600 however.

woodchip 13:33 30 Apr 03

sorry for using your post.

DieSse
back to my early post, I have just changed to higher resolution display and pages load faster why?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…