Some DVD's will not play on my PC?

Simmpy 13:18 12 May 05

I have an Evesham computer with a Sony DVD player (RW DW-U14A) using Windows XP.

I recently bought a DVD recorder with a hard disc, again a Sony (RDR - HX1000) which is connected to my TV.

I have recorded loads of stuff of off the TV and dubbed it from the hard disc onto DVD's.

For the first time I have tried to play a couple of these DVD's on my computer, neither of them will play either DVD-R or DVD+R.

As a sanity check I played a purchased DVD on my PC (Garfield the movie - yes got kids!) and this played faultlessly. Can anyone explain why?

Thanks

Joe R 13:23 12 May 05

Simmpy,

you don't say, what format, your dvd recorder uses.

You could try installing this codec, and watching them on media player. click here

SEASHANTY 13:36 12 May 05

DVD-R discs have to be finalized on the machine they were made on before they will play in other DVD players or pc drives. Dunno about DVD+R as never use them - the latter are not as compatible with other players.

Graham ® 13:45 12 May 05

As SEASHANTY says, finalise the discs. Should be a menu item 'Disc setup'. If they are rewritable, you can unfinalise them later.

SEASHANTY 16:53 12 May 05

Yep - on my Panasonics its under Disc Management and on the JVC its under "Utilities". Therefore it's bound to be somwhere else with a Sony machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…