some advise or help please

dazzlet2004 22:57 10 Jan 10

Hi My wife had been looking for a netbook to basically take on the move with her and check her online banking, facebook and emails, she came across this
click here

the specs are
Display Diagonal Size:7"" TFT HD
Networking/Data Link Protocol:Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b,IEEE 802.11g
Ports:3x USB 2.0 1x SD Card slot 1xRJ45
Processor Clock Speed:300MHz
Processor Model: VIA-ARM VT8500
Processor Type:VIA ARM 32bit CPU
RAM Installed Size:128M

could anybody tell me if they are actually any use or any good at all or would we be better off getting her one that has a hard drive instead of just trans flash memory

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:58 10 Jan 10

Windows with only 128M memory is too small

Technotiger 23:02 10 Jan 10

I consider those PCs as Toys! You would be much better off getting a proper laptop, minimum 14" screen - so it's not too big, at least 1Gb RAM and minimum 80Gb hard drive.

Graham. 23:13 10 Jan 10

I wouldn't bother click here, buy a proper one.

dazzlet2004 23:34 10 Jan 10

any advise on what kind of thing we should go for not really wanting to spend much as she has a proper laptop this is more for on the move to pop in her bag.

thanks

t.long 23:40 10 Jan 10

The "Netbook" in question is using an ARM processor with Windows CE, not XP so the 128MB RAM is not realy an issue. More of a "Smartbook" than a Netbook.

If your wife does not want to watch movies or store music then there is no point getting a Netbook with a HDD as it will simple drain more power.

The real issue is going to be the keyboard, they are normaly fairly small/hard to use on such small machines. Might be best to pay the extra for a 10" machine. Prices on the older Atom variety should fall with the new chip coming out. And it will provide more function.

Woolwell 23:54 10 Jan 10

If she wants to pop it in her bag then perhaps she should consider a smartphone such as click here. This can do all that she requires.

dazzlet2004 00:19 11 Jan 10

So this is a kind of smartbook then, what is the best way to connect this to the internet, at the min she has been using the wireless lan at home and using her mobile phone as a modem when at work or out and about, but i guess she will not be able to use her mobile phone as a modem to connect this item to the internet will she?

thanks

Woolwell 11:34 11 Jan 10

It's apparently designed to pick up wi-fi hot spots.
Which country are you looking to use this in?
Personally I wouldn't bother with this product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009